University of Colorado School of Medicine
Anschutz Medical Campus
Department of Pediatrics, Section of Clinical Genetics and Metabolism, Assistant Professor
[Position #733187 /Requisition #09440
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Nature of Work
The Department of Pediatrics, Section of Clinical Genetics and Metabolism at the University of Colorado at Denver is recruiting a full-time MD Clinical Geneticist (.8 clinical, .10 research, .10 administrative) The candidate should be ABMGG board certified or board eligible in Clinical Genetics and be eligible for licensure in the State of Colorado.
The Section of Clinical Genetics and Metabolism provides clinical care in genetics to the population of the State of Colorado. The Department of Pediatrics within the University of Colorado School of Medicine is located at and associated with the Children's Hospital Colorado, but as the only pediatric service for general genetics and metabolic disorders within the state of Colorado, the Section serves all the citizens of the state.
The individual hired in this position is responsible to the Interim Clinical Director of the General Genetics clinics, and the Interim Section Head. The individual will work collaboratively with other faculty and genetics and metabolic team members. The successful candidate will join eight clinical geneticists, twelve genetic counselors, three metabolic nutritionists, one registered nurse, one nurse practitioner, and administrative staff in a thriving academic medical genetics center.
The individual hired in this position will supervise the genetic counselors who work directly with the candidate. They will also be responsible for supervising medical genetic residents and biochemical genetics fellows as well as rotating medical students, pediatric residents, graduate genetic counseling students and other rotating learners.
Examples of Work Performed
- Provide clinical outpatient consultations, including Anschutz Medical Campus, regional outreach clinics and via telehealth, and inpatient consultations to individuals with known or suspected genetic disorders and inborn errors of metabolism.
- Share on-call responsibilities with the other clinical faculty to provide 24/7 coverage for general genetics and biochemical genetics including outpatient clinics, inpatient consultations, and newborn screening.
- Collaborate with the Colorado Institute of Maternal and Fetal Health to provide pre/post-natal evaluation of infants and mothers with suspected genetic conditions.
- Participate in the education of genetic residents, medical students, pediatric residents, and genetic counseling students.
- Initiate clinical or basic science research projects to expand knowledge in the field of genetics.
- Must have a MD/DO degree.
- Must have completed a Medical Genetics residency program resulting in board eligibility or board certification in Medical Genetics as a Clinical Geneticist.
- Hold current medical licensure for the State of Colorado or eligible for medical licensure in the State of Colorado.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of principles of genetics and inborn errors of metabolism.
- Knowledge of standard inpatient and outpatient clinical operations and procedures.
- Ability to develop and present educational information to patients as well as to professionals.
- Ability to provide genetic, medical, and technical information in a comprehensive, understandable, nondirective manner to patients and families.
- Ability to work independently as well as serving as a team member.
- Ability to gather data and prepare reports.
- Skilled in communication, both oral and written.
- Skilled in establishing priorities.
- Requires ability to travel via car or plane to outreach clinics.
- Ability to develop collaborative or independent research projects.
- Educational skills to various learners
- Additional training or experience in Biochemical Genetics.
- Experience with newborn screening.
- Experience in maternal fetal medicine.
- An identified area of academic research focus.
- A history of obtaining independent research funding or evidence of research collaboration.
- Experience in telehealth and provision of regional care.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 09440
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20873 - SOM-PEDS Stolinsky GenOps
Posting Date: May 9, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Margarita Saenz
Posting Contact Email: Margarita.email@example.com
Position Number: 00733187