Associate Director/Director of Alumni Relations - Office of Advancement, College of Liberal Arts an
Associate Director/Director of Alumni Relations
Office of Advancement
College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Associate Director/Director of Alumni Relations will serve as a member of the advancement team in the College, and build relationships with alumni/friends and other stakeholders resulting in increased financial contributions, intellectual engagement, and overall support of the mission/goals of the College and University. Provide vision and direction for the College's alumni relations program in order to build life-long, mutually supportive relationships between the University and its alumni. Strategically develop, organize and evaluate programs which are designed to identify, inform, serve, and involve, alumni/friends with the College and University.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Proactively embrace the advancement model within the College by working collaboratively with development and communications staff.
- Develop and implement a strategic direction for the College's alumni relations initiatives which reflects the priorities of the College.
- Establish and maintain college-wide policies, procedures and guidelines related to alumni relations initiatives.
- Provide executive leadership to the college's volunteer alumni boards, task forces, and committees. Identifies program needs and matches those needs to related volunteer roles.
- Recruit, orient, and train key volunteers. Provides ongoing support, evaluation, and recognition in order to retain those volunteers.
- Conceptualize and plan international, national, and regional social, educational and career programs for the College's graduates that promote and stimulate alumni relationships and long-term associations with the University.
- In consultation with the appropriate unit administrators, develop and manage a budget for the alumni relations program.
- Manage the College's alumni awards program which includes identifying marketing strategies to solicit award nominations, developing a process for selection of recipients, and creating a program to acknowledge honorees.
- Assess the effectiveness of the College's current alumni relations programming to determine if desired results are being achieved. Employ methodologies to assess potential audiences for new alumni relations initiatives.
- In collaboration with the College's communications office, directs content for the College's communications and marketing initiatives to ensure they convey appropriate messages to the alumni constituency.
- Serve as the College's primary liaison to the University of Illinois Alumni Association.
- Collaborate with the Alumni Association on campus-wide projects and initiatives including the direction of strategic priorities.
- Serve on Campus Advisory Council for Alumni Relations to provide collaboration with college and unit campus directors.
- Provide intellectual content for classroom lectures, speaker's series, and newsletter articles through the strategic use of distinguished alumni.
- Identify and coordinate initiatives focused on special constituent or interest groups including young alumni.
- Produce the College's annual report for alumni relations which are submitted to the University of Illinois Alumni Association.
- Provide opportunities for alumni advocacy on behalf of the University.
- Develop, in conjunction with the career development staff, beneficial alumni services/programs such as: career networking, mentoring, and intellectual development opportunities.
- Build professional relationships with internal clients and external vendors associated with alumni relations projects. Effectively utilize Blackbaud Customer Relationship Management and TED databases (UI Alumni database) including maintaining confidentiality
- In consultation with unit IT staff, proactively lead the development and implementation of cutting edge information technology systems/tools to advance the College's alumni relations program.
- Hire, train, direct, supervise and evaluate alumni relations staff and student interns as needed.
- Directs the student advancement program for the College which serves to engage student leaders in advancement initiatives for the College.
- Some out of town travel and work evenings and weekends as needed; must maintain a valid drivers' license.
- Apply University of Illinois purchasing rules and policies as they relate to alumni relations and events
- Maintain University branding standards within all alumni relations events.
- Bachelor's degree
- At least five years (seven for Director) of successful advancement experience (alumni relations, special events, communications and marketing, and/or development) or six years (ten for Director) of strongly related experience.
- Supervisory experience or demonstrated leadership of a team of professionals.
- Demonstrated proven event management experience.
- Demonstrated relationship management experience in alumni relations or a related field.
- Demonstrated excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated excellent ability to develop effective working relationships with faculty, staff, students, alumni, and other key stakeholders.
- Knowledge of alumni relations programs and practices.
- Exceptional attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
- Must have ability to manage several multi-faceted projects simultaneously and independently while meeting aggressive deadlines.
- Ability to maintain sensitive and confidential information.
- Ability to travel and work evenings and weekends as needed.
- An Advanced Degree
- Demonstrated ability to provide volunteer management and recruitment.
- Knowledge of higher education administration.
- Knowledge of LAS and the University of Illinois.
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION
This is a full-time, academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES AND DEADLINE INFORMATION
To apply for this position, please create a candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter and resume by August 3, 2018. Online application will require names and contact information including email addresses for three professional references. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact Sheila Kroon at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Title: Associate Director/Director of Alumni Relations - Office of Advancement, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (98033)
Open Date: 07/06/2018
Organization Name: Alumni