Culinary Production Manager
Requisition # 2018-8993
Department Campus Dining
Category Food Services and Dining
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
The Culinary Production Manager at Rockefeller Mathey Dining will assist in preparing food, planning and managing all production, preparation and presentation of a variety of menu items in the residential production kitchen.
Campus Dining is a dynamic and progressive culinary organization responsible for the food program management in residential dining halls, retail venues, and catering across campus.
Campus Dining's vision for the future engages our campus community in activity-based learning.
Our guiding principles are:
- Team and People: to inspire our team of hospitality professionals.
- Service Excellence: to deliver excellence in food and beverage service and food and beverage production.
- Efficiency and effectiveness: to continually develop innovative solutions that are fiscally responsible while being sustainable for our community, health, well-being, and the environment.
A full job description will be furnished prior to interview.
- Oversees and assists the line staff in all aspects of food preparation and presentation for Rockefeller Mathey and off-premise catering events.
- Initiates innovation for the Residential Department by conducting research on global culinary trends, food marketing, and conscious eating habits to support an expansive multi-dimensional experience that supports the campus community by providing variety of healthy food options.
- Maintains department standards for accuracy of recipes and evaluates customer preferences, making menu adjustments as necessary.
- Assists Chef De Cuisine with development of new menus, recipes, and food ordering.
- Assists with the selection of special menus for a variety of theme meals.
- Monitors systems for controlling the cost of goods, using available software and basic computer skills.
- Works closely to support off-premise catering events.
- Maintains high level of food safety and sanitation standards. Provides training (to include safe and proper equipment handling) and supervision to all staff for these standards. Maintains quality through regular inspections of the facility.
- Ensures compliance with all state, local, and university food safety, work place safety, and HACCP policies and procedures. Ensures a safe work environment through addressing safety concerns, to eliminate safety hazards; investigates and reports incidents, enforces safety work rules and procedures. Works with Environmental Health & Safety to provide training programs.
- Works closely with the Campus Dining Wellness Dietitian in assisting students and guests with food allergies and special needs.
- Monitors maintenance and repair of kitchen equipment.
Team & Training
- Provides guidance and feedback to the culinary line associates. Supervises union employees to ensure compliance with the collective bargaining unit agreement and adherence to University policies and procedures. Administers performance appraisals; counsels and disciplines employees as required.
- Provides continual positive leadership to motivate and engage all associates. Participates in the hiring process of all culinary team members with providing proper on-boarding, training, and performance appraisals. Establish baseline expectations for associates and provides guidance and feedback.
- Assists with planning, organizing, coordinating, scheduling, food preparation, and delegating responsibility to the team, ensuring the goals and objectives of the operation are met on a daily basis.
- Attends meetings/trainings as required.
- Supports Rockefeller Mathey in the day-to-day operation.
- Implements and supports Campus Dining's sustainability and wellness initiatives.
- Supports Campus Dining events as needed.
Minimum Required Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Culinary degree from an accredited institution or equivalent technical experience.
- A minimum of 3-5 years culinary experience in a supervisory role.
- Knowledge of culinary techniques: hot, cold, ambient, aspic, garde manger, display cooking, and buffet presentations.
- Knowledge of the health department's rules and regulations, including HACCP and ServSafe.
- The ability to work independently with a high level of accuracy, manage multiple priorities, and delegate tasks efficiently.
- Strong organizational and problem solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to meet firm production deadlines.
- Must be effective at listening to, understanding, and clarifying concerns and issues raised by team members and guests.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to interact with a diverse population.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, AM, PM, overnights, weekends, and/or holidays.
- Valid Driver's License.
- Essential Personnel: https://www.princeton.edu/hr/policies/conditions/5.0/5.0.4/
- Stand or walk up to 2 hours at one time for a total of 6-8 hours per day;
- Sit for no more than 2 hours during an 8 hour day;
- Drive for no more than 30 minutes at one time;
- Lift or carry up to 30 pounds frequently (34 - 66% of the workday);
- Lift or carry up to 50 pounds occasionally (less than 33% of the workday);
- Push or pull using forces up to 50 pounds occasionally (less than 33 % of the workday);
- Frequently use hands for simple grasping, fine manipulation, pushing or pulling with forces up to 30 pounds (34 - 66% of the workday);
- Bend, squat, kneel, climb stairs, reach overhead, lift overhead occasionally (less than 33% of the work day);
- Lift up to 30 pounds in a range of motions from floor to overhead; lift 50 pounds in a range of motions from floor to chest height.
- Work under a range of temperature conditions (e.g., kitchens, walk-in refrigerators and freezers, etc.);
- Possess physical agility, full range of motion, and ability to maintain balance.
- Knowledge of Local, State, and Federal Nutritional guidelines.
- Experience working in a unionized environment.
- Basic knowledge of computerized food production systems.
- Knowledge and experience with the use and maintenance requirements of kitchen equipment.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University job offers are contingent upon the candidate's successful completion of a background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening, as applicable. The type and extent of background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening may vary depending on the requirements and/or functions of the job and the candidate's current employment status with Princeton University.
Go to our careers site.