Post-Doctoral Scientist, Biomedical Informatics
Job Description Summary:
I. DEPARTMENT INFORMATION
The GW Medical Informatics Center is seeking to hire a Postdoctoral Scientist in Biomedical Informatics. The mission of GW Medical Informatics Center is to enhance individual and population health outcomes, improve patient care, and strengthen the clinic- patient relationship through the research and development of data science and information technology. The center is engaged in federally as well industry funded research projects.
This is a research staff position providing the opportunity to work on big clinical data sets with an interdisciplinary team. It will prepare the postdoctoral fellow for an independent career in informatics research, development, and teaching.
• Data analysis
• Participates in research study design,
• Develops analytical and/or software solutions for research questions.
• Prepares reports and manuscripts for publication. May attend meetings and conferences to present research.
• Performs other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Qualified candidates will hold a PhD in a related discipline. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the positionAdditional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
• PhD in biomedical informatics, computer science, mathematics, engineering or a related field
• Data analysis or database experience
• Programming experience
• Solid background in computational science, strong analytical skills, and fluent in at least one programming language.
• Results-driven, self-starter
• Ability to learn new applications/programs/technologies quickly
• Skills in problem solving, attention to detail, and organization
• Ability to handle multiple tasks with changing priorities and deadlines in a fast paced environment
• Ability to maintain positive working relationships
• Ability to communicate effectively with co-workers and supervisors
• Prior course work and/or experience in machine learning, natural language processing/information extraction, and database
• Java programming experience
• Experience working in research settings, especially in biomedical research
• Strong interest in clinical research and discovery
I. POSITION INFORMATION
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom, Washington, D.C. College/School/Department: School of Medicine and Health Sciences (SMHS) Family Research and Labs Sub-Family Laboratory Research Stream Individual Contributor Level Level 3 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: Monday - Friday Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: Required Background Check Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants: Internal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: R000443 Job Open Date: 01/04/2018 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a Ph.D?
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2