Sodexo Employment - Cook I
Cook I (Sodexo employment at GWC in Williams Bay, WI)
Aurora University is an independent, comprehensive institution founded in 1893 offering bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees. Our two campuses are located in Aurora, Illinois and on the shores of Geneva Lake in Wisconsin. Additionally, we have an Educational Center in Woodstock, Illinois. We seek people passionately involved in the educational process who will help us realize our vision.
Position Purpose: The Cook I will be an employee of Sodexo at George Williams College in Williams Bay, WI. The Cook I will accurately and efficiently prepare, portion, cook, and present a variety of hot and/or cold food items for various meal periods: to include Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, and Special/Catered Events. The general responsibilities of the position include those listed below, but Sodexo may identify other responsibilities of the position. These responsibilities may differ among accounts, depending on business necessities and client requirements
- Represents Aurora University in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers and the community we serve. Interacts effectively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, students and other customers of our service, learns and uses operating practices of the department and Aurora University.
- Upholds the Mission Statement: Aurora University an inclusive community dedicated to the transformative power of learning.
- Handle confidential information with tact and discretion.
- Supports learning through performance of essential job functions and performing other duties and functions as necessary or as assigned.
Essential Job Functions:
- Prepares and cooks to order foods that may require short preparation time.
- May prepare food and serve customers at an a la carte and may operate a grill station.
- Prepares food in accordance with current applicable federal, state and corporate standards,guidelines and regulations to ensure high-quality food service is provided.
- Reads food order or receives verbal instructions on food required by patron, and prepares and cooks food according to instructions.
- Provides the highest quality of service to customers at all times.
- Follows basic recipes and/or product directions for preparing, seasoning, cooking, tasting,carving and serving soups, meats, vegetables, desserts and other foodstuffs for consumption in eating establishments.
- Prepares foods under direct supervision or instruction by operating a variety of kitchen equipment to measure and mix ingredients, washing, peeling, cutting and shredding fruits and vegetables, and trimming and cutting meat, poultry or fish for culinary use.
- Tastes products, reads menus, estimates food requirements, checks production, and keeps records in order to accurately plan production requirements and requisition supplies and equipment.
- May clean and sanitize work stations and equipment and must follow all Sodexo, client and regulatory rules and procedures.
- Attends all allergy and foodborne illness in-service training.
- Complies with all Sodexo HACCP policies and procedures.
- Reports all accidents and injuries in a timely manner.
- Complies with all company safety and risk management policies and procedures.
- Participates in regular safety meetings, safety training and hazard assessments.
- Attends training programs (classroom and virtual) as designated.
- May receive inventory, move and lift foodstuffs and supplies and prepare meals for customers requiring special diets.
- May produce some batch goods using basic cooking techniques.
- May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Essential Job Requirements:
- High School diploma, GED or equivalent experience preferred
- 0 to 2 years of related work experience
- Knowledge of basic operation of equipment and cash-handling procedures preferred
- Presents self in a highly professional manner to others and understands that honesty and ethics are essential.
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude.
- Ability to communicate with co-workers and other departments with professionalism and respect.
- Maintains a professional relationship with all coworkers, vendor representatives, supervisors,managers, customers, and client representatives.
- Ability to use a computer.
- Good working knowledge of food preparation.
- Requires familiarity of kitchen equipment.
- Must be able to read and follow a recipe unsupervised.
- Willingness to be open to learning and growing.
- Maturity of judgment and behavior.
- Maintains high standards for work areas and appearance.
- Maintains a positive attitude.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule helpful.
- Must comply with any dress code requirements.
- Must be able to work nights, weekends and some holidays.
- Attends work and shows up for scheduled shift on time with satisfactory regularity.
- Close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus, with or without corrective lenses.
- Significant walking or other means of mobility.
- Ability to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 8 hours).
- Ability to reach, bend, stoop, push and/or pull, and frequently lift up to 35 pounds and occasionally lift/move 40 pounds.
Benefit-eligible positions offer excellent benefits including health, dental, life, vision, long term disability, a 403(b) retirement plan through TIAA, and tuition remission. Please send resume with cover letter and contact information for three references including name, telephone and email address.
347 South Gladstone Ave
Aurora, IL 60506
630-844-5650 - fax
[email protected] - email
Aurora University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.