MFRI Associate Director
Hyde Park Campus
1432110 Becker Friedman Initiatives
About the Unit
The Becker Friedman Institute for Economics (BFI) works with the Chicago Economics community to turn its evidence-based research into real-world impact. BFI takes a unique approach to bridging the divide between academic researchers and decision-makers in the business community and government by translating and packaging the rigorous work of the Chicago Economics community into accessible formats, and proactively sharing those findings with relevant decision-makers and thought leaders around the globe. BFI is a collaborative platform serving the University of Chicago Booth School of Business, the Kenneth C. Griffin Department of Economics, the Harris School of Public Policy, and the Law School. The Macro Financial Research Initiative, housed within the Becker Friedman Institute for Economics (BFI) at The University of Chicago, expands our understanding of how financial markets affect the economy as a whole and, conversely, how the macroeconomy influences financial markets. It does so by bringing together a community of elite scholars with common ambitions to tackle these important challenges. For more information visit https://bfi.uchicago.edu
This position will work to support the MFRI Director by directly managing all events, communication, marketing, promotion, financing and fundraising efforts pertaining to the Macro Financial Research Initiative. It will provide comprehensive administrative support to the MFRI director and will ensure that the mission of the MFRI is achieved.
- Oversee budgets for MFRI and for the Director's research accounts in conjunction with BFI administration. Track expenses against budgets and provide financial information and ad hoc reports to the Director as needed.
- Provide high-level communications and marketing support, including the MFRI webpage and the Director's web page.
- Oversee and manage MFRI events in coordination with other entities, ( e.g. the BFI and other research centers), when appropriate. This includes working with faculty event organizers, co-sponsoring entities, communicating with speakers and other high-level participants and overseeing travel plans, seeking provost approvals for business flights and monitoring event expenses.
- Guide broader MFRI communication efforts including conducting video interviews at MFRI events research reflections aimed at communicating research project aims and advances to a broad audience. Coordinate communication efforts with the BFI communications team.
- Assist in the writing process of preparing all narratives pertaining to grant proposals and reports for MFRI funding agencies; Work with BFI grant management staff on pre- and post-award grant management.
- Supervise support administrative staff for the MFRI and its Director and oversee the hiring and support of research assistants and professionals engaged in active projects.
- Provide needed organization, scheduling and traveling assistance for the BFI Director.
- Provide support assistance for manuscript editing and bibliography structuring for the Director's papers and books. Provide support assistance for researching, editing, and proofreading Director's presentations for public and private speaking engagements.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills required.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet tight deadlines required.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail required.
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member required.
- Ability to adapt to the needs of others.
- Willingness to work some weeknights and weekends as MFRI events are structured.
Education, Experience, or Certifications:
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Three years of previous work experience preferred.
Technical Knowledge or Skills:
- Experience working with Microsoft Office Suite required.
- Experience working with Adobe Creative Suite required.
- Experience with University of Chicago systems preferred.
- Cover Letter
NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application.
Depends on Qualification
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Job is Exempt?
Drug Test Required?
Does this position require incumbent to operate a vehicle on the job?
Health Screen Required?
Remove from Posting On or Before
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
The University of Chicago is an urban research university that has driven new ways of thinking since 1890. Our commitment to free and open inquiry draws inspired scholars to our global campuses, where ideas are born that challenge and change the world.
We empower individuals to challenge conventional thinking in pursuit of original ideas. Students in the College develop critical, analytic, and writing skills in our rigorous, interdisciplinary core curriculum. Through graduate programs, students test their ideas with UChicago scholars, and become the next generation of leaders in academia, industry, nonprofits, and government.
To learn more about the university click here http://www.uchicago.edu/