Assistant Professor in Cryo-Electron Microscopy
Open date: October 10th, 2017
Last review date: December 31st, 2017
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: January 31st, 2018
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Assistant Professor in Cryo-Electron Microscopy
As outlined in the UCI Recruit job listing (https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/apply/JPF04286):
The Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry in the Francisco J Ayala School of Biological Sciences invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professorship position in structural biology in the area of cryo-electron microscopy. Applicants should hold a Ph.D., or M.D. or equivalent degree, and will be expected to establish a vigorous and internationally recognized research program, and teach at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. UCI has recently established a multidisciplinary state-of-the-art electron microscopy facility http://www.imri.uci.edu/content/jeol-jem-2100f-tem. The successful candidate will be expected to play a significant role in the development of structural biology in the new facility. Applicants should upload curriculum vitae, at least 3 letters of reference, a 3-5 page outline of future research plans, and a teaching statement. A separate statement that addresses past and/or potential contributions to diversity, equity and inclusion should also be included in the application materials. Electronic submission instructions can be found at: https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/apply/JPF04286. This same URL can be used for uploading reference letters separately. Please see the URL: http://jobs.bio.uci.edu/showopenjobs_tenure.cfm for application instructions under "Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry." Review of applications will begin December 1, 2017 and the recruitment will remain open until the position is filled. The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy. Criteria for the research, teaching, and diversity statements are provided below.
Research Statement (3 pages). This statement should:
- Detail the candidate's specific area of expertise, with a description of their contributions to the field.
- Provide a detailed plan of their future research program, and how this program will be leveraged to obtain extramural funding.
- Indicate how the candidate's research program will synergize with the research environment at UCI.
Teaching Statement (1 page). This statement should:
- Indicate the candidate's teaching experiences to date, including experience with teaching/lecturing to undergraduates/graduate students, or other populations, as well as their areas of interest. This should also include mentorship that they have given to others in the line of research or outreach activities.
- Detail the candidate's teaching approaches and philosophies, as to how they will engage in effective teaching strategies.
- Provide evidence (if any) of effectiveness of previous teaching.
Diversity Statement (1 page). The UC Statement on Diversity is available at: http://regents.universityofcalifornia.edu/governance/policies/4400.html. Applicants will be evaluated on their required statements of their contribution to diversity. This statement should:
- Indicate how the candidate has demonstrated awareness of the issues faced by historically underrepresented or economically disadvantaged groups and the benefits of a diverse faculty.
- Provide evidence (if any) of the candidate's track record and success in activities aimed at reducing barriers in education or research for underrepresented or disadvantaged groups.
- Detail specific plans (if any) to contribute through campus programs, new activities, or through national or off-campus organizations.
- Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- Cover Letter (Optional)
- Statement of Research
- Statement of Teaching
- Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Statement addressing how past and/or potential contributions to diversity will advance UCI's Commitment to Inclusive Excellence.
- Misc / Additional (Optional)
3-5 letters of reference required
HOW TO APPLY
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents
- If any, provide required reference information
Get started: press Apply Now