Public Safety Officer
Position Number 003791
Position Classification Title Public Safety Officer
Functional Title Public Safety Officer
Position Type Staff
The University of North Carolina at Greensboro (UNCG) Police Department is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Police Officer. This individual must have the ability to work effectively in a campus environment where community service is highly valued. Located in the heart of the city of Greensboro, the UNCG Police Department is a proactive professional state law enforcement agency which serves and protects the lives and property of the student body and staff population in excess of 20,000, as well as the surrounding community. The UNCG Police Department has 37 full-time sworn law enforcement officers, 3 part-time Reserve Officers, and 19 non-sworn personnel.
Positions in this banded class perform law enforcement work at a University campus or other state facility. With full powers of arrest, positions enforce the laws of the State and the United States Government. Position has law enforcement authority ranging from traffic control to criminal investigations within a limited geographic jurisdiction. Work involves patrolling an assigned area for response to complaints or calls and for detection of violations in the enforcement of State laws and applicable regulations.
- Apprehending observed violators committing offenses;
- Investigating violations or complaints in order to assess and handle cases;
- Collecting and preserving evidence and the chain of custody;
- Testifying in court proceedings and performing related work.
- Positions may serve as a patrol officer, detective squad member, crime prevention officer, or in some police organizations as a lead officer on an assigned shift.
BENEFITS FOR ALL EMPLOYEES:
Paid Vacation - earn 7.8 - 18 hours per month depending on years of service
Paid Holidays - 12 holidays are recognized annually
Paid Sick Leave - Employees earn 96 hours sick leave per year
Medical / Dental / Life Insurance
Retirement Program - Eligible for retirement benefits after 30 years of service or age 55.
State 401(k) investment which the State matches 6% of your salary.
Educational Tuition Assistance: Three free classes a year
All Uniforms & Equipment are purchased by the Department
Many Other Training Opportunities
12 Hour Permanent Shift Schedule with Built In Overtime
Additional 10% Shift Pay for Night Time Assignments
High School diploma or equivalency. Certification as a law enforcement officer in accordance with the provisions of the North Carolina Criminal Justice Training and Standards Commission or the ability to achieve certification within one year of employment.
MUST HAVE VALID DRIVERS LICENSE
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must complete and submit an electronic application for employment to be considered. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing an electronic application. The application must be completed in full detail for your qualifications to be considered.
Applicants are required to upload a list of references of at least three (3) professional references that includes:
- Company Name
- Type of reference (Professional, Supervisor, Colleague, Academic or Personal). One (1) of those references will need to be a current or previous supervisor.
- Email Address
- Contact Phone Number
Applications are not successfully submitted until an online confirmation number has been received at the end of the application process.
Recruitment Range $36,239 - $46,411
Org #-Department Public Safety & Police - 57001
Work Hours of Position 6:30 A.M. - 6:30 P.M. or 6:30 P.M. - 6:30 A.M.
Job Family Law Enforcement and Public Safety
Competency Level Journey
Open Date 07/06/2018
Close Date 07/31/2018
Job Close Date
Salary Grade Equivalency 65
Number of Months per Year 12
- List of References
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Have you graduated from high school or received a GED?
- * Are you BLET certified?
- * Do you currently have a valid drivers license?
- No Response
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying:
- UNCGjobsearch Website
- Greensboro News & Record
- Carolina Peacemaker
- Other Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other Professional Journal
- UNC System Job Board
- Other Online Job Board
- Personal Networking
- If you selected "Other", please provide the name of the resource here.
(Open Ended Question)
- Are you eligible to work in the United States without sponsorship?
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu