Financial Aid Counselor
Job no: 493671
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Department: Financial Aid
Location: Moon Campus
Position Department Financial Aid
Position Type Staff Full-Time
Will have extensive knowledge of federal, state and institutional student aid regulations and procedures and be able to communicate that information to students and parents.
- Manages the financial aid process for approximately one-fourth (1/4) of the student population which includes freshmen, transfer, continuing undergraduate, graduate, doctorate, online, off campus and certificate programs.
- Counsels students and parents on financial aid policies and procedures through personal appointments, walk-ins, phone calls and emailed messages. Adheres to and communicates federal, state and institutional policy information. Emphasis on strong customer service practices. Presents various payment and financing options. Recommends ways to reduce loan debt.
- Responsible for completing verification and monitoring of student files. Requests necessary documents required for file completion. Reviews household and income data through review of federal tax returns, W-2s, and other relevant income documentation, and reports corrections to Department of Education when necessary. Thorough understanding of federal tax code to ensure accuracy of review process. Rectify non valid FAFSAs, which may include review of citizenship documentation, loan borrowing history, previous enrollment, social security administration database mismatches, veteran status, selective service registration, drug convictions, marital status discrepancies, dependency status issues and other conflicting information. Recommends, collects and reviews all relevant documentation concerning dependency override and professional judgement scenarios.
- Promptly returns phone calls and emails to prospective and currents students and parents.
- Represents the University at on-campus and off-campus programs, including orientations, Life Skills, financial aid nights and college fairs. Staffs a financial aid booth and answers financial aid related questions. Face to face meetings discussing specific financial aid questions. Presentation of financial aid information in a group setting. Keeps current on regulatory updates by attending training sessions and workshops and by maintaining membership in PASFAA and NASFAA.
- All other duties as assigned. On occasion may need to work evening and/or weekend hours.
- Bachelor's Degree is preferred or equivalent work experience.
- 2+ years of financial aid experience is preferred.
- Ability to work with and maintain confidential student and University information.
- Extensive knowledge of federal and state financial aid policies.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Strong commitment to customer service.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Exemption Status Exempt
Act 153 Clearance Required No
Required To Pass a Motor Vehicle Report Check No
Required to Pass a Credit Check Yes
Additional Posting Information None
Special Applicant Instructions None
Advertised July 6, 2018 Eastern Daylight Time
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY
Robert Morris University (RMU), founded in 1921, is one of the leading universities in the Pittsburgh region. RMU provides a professionally focused education with an emphasis on engaged learning and is one of the most affordable private doctoral-level institutions in Pennsylvania. The University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. In 2016, for the first time in its history, RMU was ranked nationally by U.S. News and World Report. In 2017, RMU had among the biggest increases of all national universities in the U.S. News and World Report annual "Best Colleges" rankings released, rising 12 spots to No. 176.
Robert Morris University is dedicated to changing the lives of its students and employees so that they can go out and change the lives of others. The University combines academic excellence with a professional focus offering numerous undergraduate, graduate and doctoral degree programs. In 2011, Robert Morris University was named as a "Top Workplace" by the Pittsburgh Post Gazette , which names the best places to work in the Greater Pittsburgh region.
RMU offers faculty members an environment where teaching, research and service are supported and valued.
RMU's main campus in Moon Township features 230 rolling acres and provides all the benefits of a traditional university campus, just minutes from the airport and downtown Pittsburgh.
INSTITUTIONAL EQUITY VISION STATEMENT
At Robert Morris University, we believe that institutional equity reflects our continued commitment to a community where everyone is both valued and respected. Institutional equity encompasses racial, ethnic, gender and religious diversity, cultural perspectives, national origin, sexual orientation, physical ability, as well as socioeconomic contexts, and educational backgrounds. We are dedicated to developing a diverse population by fostering an environment where intellectual and social growth, individual perspectives, and all human experiences are valued. We strive to be an inclusive community that celebrates and embraces differences as a means of responding to the cultural and social demands of a global society. Inherent in our inclusion efforts is a strong commitment to intercultural and global education to produce and include citizens who will serve as educational, social, economic and cultural ambassadors to the world. Robert Morris University is committed to increasing diversity in our community and actively pursues individuals from all backgrounds. Additionally, RMU complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws and provides equal opportunity in all educational programs and activities, admission of students and conditions of employment for all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, or national origin.
Visit RMU's Office of Diversity, Inclusion and Equity