Lead Admissions Counselor for Recruitment Coordination
Montclair State is New Jersey's second largest university. It offers the advantages of a large university - a broad undergraduate curriculum with a global focus, a wide variety of superior graduate programs through the doctoral level, and a diverse faculty and student body - combined with a small college's attention to students.
Posting Date July 6, 2018
Position Title Lead Admissions Counselor for Recruitment Coordination
Vacancy # V-1497
Department Undergraduate Admissions
Division Student Devel And Campus Life
Under the supervision of the Associate Director, Recruitment & Community engagement, the Senior Admissions Counselor works to recruit and enroll students to Montclair State University. The Senior Admissions Counselor participates in the development of strategic recruitment initiatives in consult with the Associate Director and provides guidance and support to the Admissions Recruiters in the execution of their roles.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manages a local travel territory; responsible for territory analysis, decision making and planning of the territory. Delivers presentations and represents the University at college fairs, high school visits, and other recruitment events in the assigned territory and elsewhere as needed.
- Serves as a primary contact for prospective students, parents, school administrators, and community officials. Regularly meets with walk-in visitors and advises on the application and enrollment process.
- Manages graduate student worker who is tasked with serving as guidance and school counselor concierge; serves as main professional staff point of contact for guidance and school counselors.
- Participates in the development of a strategic recruitment plan and execution of strategic recruitment and yield initiatives to support University enrollment goals.
- Creates and analyzes recruitment and enrollment related reports from Slate, Banner, and other sources; makes data-driven suggestions to the Associate Director and office leadership team.
- Identifies opportunities for increased recruitment and engagement of targeted populations for enrollment.
- Maintains a centralized recruitment calendar for the recruitment team, maintains records of and payments for events as needed and ensures the calendar is efficient and robust.
- Serves as a point of contact for Admissions Recruiters/Counselors in addition to the Associate Director. Mentors and assists in the onboarding of new Admissions Recruiters/Counselors.
- May be responsible for a special population of applicants, such as College of the Arts applicants.
- Assists with execution of Undergraduate Admissions events, including but not limited to Open House, Accepted Student Day, Scholar Dinner, and Counselor Workshop.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Management retains the right to add or change job duties at any time.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution
- Two or more years of experience working in a fast-paced setting with direct exposure to undergraduate admissions
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively (written and spoken) and to conduct large and small group presentations to a variety of constituents
- Willingness to travel regularly throughout New Jersey and the surrounding regions, sometimes overnight
- Incumbent must possess and maintain a valid driver's license with full-time access to a vehicle.
- Some evening and weekend work is required.
- Master's degree in Higher Education or related field.
- Demonstrated comfort using technology and software related to the recruitment of undergraduate students, including but not limited to Banner and Slate.
- Strong organizational skills, analytical ability, inquisitive spirit, attention to detail, and the willingness to work collaboratively and autonomously are preferred.
Commensurate with experience.
Anticipated Start Date Open until position is filled.
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
*When creating your profile, you will need to combine your resume and cover letter into one single document (PDF or MS Word).*
Apply By Review will begin immediately and continues until position is filled.
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION