The University of Miami is looking for an Associate Director, Housing Operations and Facilities for our Student Affairs Division.
This person provides day-to-day leadership for all on-campus housing operations and facilities, which include facilities management, access management, custodial operations, conference services support, logistics, inventory management, & customer service. Coordinate the planning and implementation of minor renovation and construction projects, including capital improvements and repair & replace work. Manages contractual arrangements with external contractors/vendors providing services and products to resident students.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Manage the Housing and Residential Life department’s interests in the maintenance program of all on-campus housing residential facilities working closely with Senior Facilities Manager from Facilities Operations & Planning; includes living units, study rooms, classrooms, public areas/lobbies, etc. in addition to working with the contracted service provider for landscaping, cleaning, and extermination as well as trucking services.
2. Supervises the Assistant Director of Housing Operations and Facilities as well as indirectly an administrative support staff position.
3. Provides leadership for departmental activities related to access management, including all electronic lock technology and physical key & lock hardware in addition to the liaison relationship with Access Control within the Facilities Operations and Planning department and University Information Technology.
4. Collaborate with Fire Shop from Facilities Operations and Planning to maintain required fire and life safety equipment with the residential areas and likewise with University of Miami Police Department on security cameras and related equipment.
5. Manages the implementation of renovation and construction projects, including capital improvements, on a day-to-day basis, in partnership with Facilities Design and Construction and Facilities Operations and Planning.
6. Oversees contractual arrangements with external contractors/vendors and other University departments providing services and products to resident students, including telecommunications & related technology (cable TV, telephones, data lines, computer labs) along with vending, laundry services, bed lofts, and move-in.
7. Manage the liaison/tenant relationships from a maintenance and custodial perspective with various entities with the Lakeside Housing Village, including the Launch Pad, Auxiliary Services (retail dining outlets), other retail outlets, the package & mail center, and the Outdoor Recreation area.
8. Develops and maintains relationships with internal departmental units such as Assignments, Conference Services and Residence Life as well as with retail and contracted services within the Lakeside Housing Village (scheduled to open in fall 2019).
9. Manages the purchase of furniture and equipment and oversee the maintaining of the central housing office, residential college and University Village offices, and live-in staff and faculty apartment inventory as well as the off-site warehouse inventory.
10. Makes frequent and ongoing visits to all residential housing areas to stay apprised of on-going conditions or problems and to also obtain feedback regarding operational and facilities services.
11. Provides crisis response and follow-up as needed for a resident population of over 4,400 students, including hurricane preparation/aftermath.
12. Responsible for ensuring proper fiscal management of department resources related to housing operations and facilities utilizing zero-based budgeting parameters.
13. In collaboration with the Assistant Director of Housing Operations and Facilities, review and respond to student requests for compensation resulting from losses.
14. Serve as an escalation contact for student & parent concerns with facility-related situations and services.
15. Conduct market research and gather benchmarking and assessment data as well as provide analysis of that data as requested.
16. Assist with coordination of work with University stakeholders regarding sustainability / GreenU initiatives.
17. Provide liaison to Housing and Residential Life area staff as well as internal departments/divisions as requested.
18. In the absence of the Senior Director, provide leadership.
19. Special projects and other duties as assigned by the Executive Director of Housing and Residential Life or designee.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Possess skills in assessing, organizing, delegating and prioritizing.
• Ability to lead, motivate, direct, and communicate with all levels of employees.
• Strong administrative and problem-solving skills.
• Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
• Ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships.
• Engagement of and follow-up with constituencies.
• Demonstrated skill at managing crisis situations.
• Demonstrated supervisory experience, preferably with full-time staff.
• Familiarity with student housing, multicultural environments, and academic support and development programs.
• Ability to work evenings and weekends, as needed.
Education Requirements (Essential):
• Bachelor’s degree with experience in business, construction management, maintenance operations management, or related experience.
Education Requirements (Desired):
• Master’s degree in higher education administration, business or public administration, or other related field.
Work Experience Requirements (Essential Requirements):
• Minimum of five years full-time, progressive professional experience in a collegiate housing and residential life setting or similarly applicable experience.
Apply online at www.miami.edu/careers
Position #: P100040251
The University of Miami is home to some of the brightest minds in the world. We are committed to educating and nurturing students, creating knowledge, and providing service to our community and beyond. The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental benefits, tuition remission, vacation, paid holidays and much more. The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Come join us!]]>