Shared Services Manager
Requisition # 2018-8987
Department Financial Services
Category Financial Services and Procurement
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
The Office of Finance and Treasury seeks an experienced financial services management professional to lead our shared financial services program. The financial shared services manager is responsible for the proactive, responsive, and effective delivery of financial services for participating academic and administrative departments. There are approximately 24 campus departments currently participating with total budgets in excess of $70 million. Reporting to the assistant vice president, financial services, in the Office of Finance and Treasury, the shared services manager will collaborate with departmental managers to ensure the effective delivery of financial processes and will serve as a liaison between campus departments and the Office of Finance and Treasury. The shared services manager will oversee operations of the program, including ensuring that staff are appropriately trained, regularly evaluated, and that the quality and consistency of service is high. The manager will implement, execute, and modify service level agreements with participating units; track and monitor service delivery, and adjust work assignments for the team as warranted, including serving as back-up for financial transaction execution.
Additionally, the manager will investigate and initiate opportunities to expand the delivery of shared financial services to campus, including the development of value-added services and the development of business plans and processes to support expanded service. The shared services manager serves as an internal consultant to departments that regularly participate in the program, as well as campus departments that would benefit from interim support. S/he helps develop and improve processes and procedures and create mechanisms for timely and efficient workflow with the campus departments.
The shared services manager supports and supervises a variety of financial functions such as preparing and approving electronic expense reports, payment requests, journal entries, and requisitions; entering and maintaining salaries and other data in the Labor Accounting system; onboarding suppliers; preparing financial reports; and coordinating the university credit card processes. S/he will manage other financial activities such as working and communicating with faculty and other departmental staff and students to ensure purchases are allowable and within budget and funds are accounted for appropriately. This person also ensures that internal controls are in place to achieve compliance with university policy and procedures. The manager will also develop business processes that are consistent with overall finance and treasury processes, but that reflect the operations of the shared financial services program.
The Office of Finance & Treasury actively searches for staff members of exceptional ability and promise who share in Princeton University's commitment to excellence, and who present a diversity of viewpoints and cultures. We offer varied professional opportunities spanning all aspects of financial management, analysis, and processing in support of the teaching and research mission. As part of the University community, we respect the dignity and individuality of each member while trying to foster a sense of shared experience and common purpose. We are unwavering in our commitment to both diversity and community and embrace the variety of talents, backgrounds, and perspectives of all of our colleagues.
- Bachelor's degree in management, business, finance, accounting, or related field (or equivalent work experience).
- 5-7 years of relevant work experience.
- Outstanding organizational, prioritization, and multi-tasking skills, working in a fast paced environment with frequent interruptions.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- High level of competency with desktop computing tools such as Word, Excel (pivot tables), and PowerPoint, and with system applications such as PeopleSoft.
- Strong customer service focus with an emphasis on outreach to departments; listens to and understands the unique needs of each department.
- Able to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
- Must have analytical expertise with strong accounting/financial management background.
- Able to develop and document effective and efficient business plans and processes.
- Evidence of self-motivation and the ability to work both independently and with teams, with high personal standards representative of Princeton University's commitment to excellence.
- Experience in communicating policy or procedure effectively to a broad customer base; to be able to provide relevant information to all stakeholders, including faculty, staff, students, vendors, parents, and others.
- Experience at Princeton, or an institution similar to Princeton, is preferred.
- Experience in staff management and/or building effective teams.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University job offers are contingent upon the candidate's successful completion of a background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening, as applicable. The type and extent of background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening may vary depending on the requirements and/or functions of the job and the candidate's current employment status with Princeton University.
Go to our careers site.