Systems Support Engineer Sr
Description Job Purpose: Responsible for advanced level design, integration, implementation and modification of a wide variety of user information systems usually within a highly complex environment. This includes coordination of the installation, testing, operation, troubleshooting and maintenance of those systems. Provide functional and technical expertise in support of user systems operation and maintenance. May include support of labs, training facilities and general IT office software and hardware. Provides technical advice and leadership to lower level technical staff.
- Conduct needs analysis, planning and scheduling the installation of a wide variety of new or modified hardware/software.
- Develop functional and technical IT system requirements and specifications.
- Provide technical support through allocating systems resources, managing accounts, administering passwords, documentation, security, recoverability and access including deploying security and operating system patches.
- Monitor and reports on system performance.
- Support internal departmental servers.
- Maintain hardware and software inventories including developing and updating departmental distributed software license management policy.
- Makes technical presentations to other technical personnel and user department administrators.
- May lead project technical team; provide technical advice to lower level technical staff.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Education: Bachelor's in Computer Science or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Work Experience: Four to six years job related experience.
- Certifications: N/A
- Skills: This job requires advanced knowledge of complex concepts, practices and procedures associated with IT systems design, installation and maintenance. Expert knowledge in variety of applications and platforms is required.
Qualifications Preferred Qualifications: •Preferred Education: Master’s degree in Computer Science, or related field, or or equivalent combination of education and experience
•Preferred Work Experience: N/A
•Preferred Certifications: N/A
◦Advanced knowledge of, and experience in, RedHat Enterprise Linux system administration in large scale (100+ servers)
◦Experience using system provisioning & configuration management tools to manage large server environments (e.g.
RedHat Network Satellite, Puppet, CFengine, Salt)
◦Experience with High-performance storage and clustered filesystems (e.g. GPFS, Lustre)
◦Experience in cloud implementations (e.g. OpenStack, VMWare)
◦Expertise in HPC middleware (e.g. MPICH, Moab, PBS) installation, administration, security and patching
◦Experience with High-performance computer interconnects (e.g. 10 and 40 Gigabit Ethernet, InfiniBand)
◦Fluency in one or more programming and/or scripting languages (e.g. C/C++, Fortran, Perl, shell, Python)
This position shares responsibility for the functionality of the foundational hardware/software of High Performance Computing (HPC) resources. Diagnose and resolve technical problems, often of a complex nature, associated with computer hardware and software interrelationships and dependencies. Utilize a wide variety of skills in system and network monitoring; large-scale systems administration; scripting and automation; security; network distributed services; storage and backups; and hardware and software problem diagnosis and resolution. Install, configure, maintain, and support computer software and hardware, which may include network environments or software upgrades in accordance with specifications, and perform testing as required. Develop and maintain documentation, including configuration changes, as needed. The work environment involves adherence to safety precautions relative to working near electrical circuits, plus handling of objects up to 25 pounds. Occasional after-hours or weekend work, and travel 1-10 nights per year is possible.
Impact & Influence: This position will interact on a consistent basis with: system staff and departmental users including management. This position typically will advise and counsel: systems staff. This position will supervise: NA (work direction only)
Department Description The partnership for an Advanced Computing Environment (PACE) serves Georgia Tech faculty and researchers with a sustainable, leading-edge high performance computing environment.
Job : Information Technology Primary Location Georgia-Atlanta Organization : Office of (OIT) Information Technology