Theater Technical Director
POSITION: Theater Technical Director
QUALIFICATIONS: Master of Fine Arts degree in theater design, technical direction, or a related field required; alternatively, significant work experience at the university or professional level. Knowledge of engineering, welding, experience with theatrical lighting, experience with sound equipment desired.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Theater Technical Director will report to the Theater Program Director and to the Visual and Communication Arts Department Chair.
Duties include the following:
- Plan and supervise the construction of all scenery for at least two mainstage theater productions per academic year
- Design and implement lighting for public theater performances
- Work in a collaborative and creative manner with production colleagues and student designers
- Assist students with one showcase of original student work per year
- Supervise work-study students and students doing technical theatre practicums with technical responsibilities
- Oversee EMU’s two primary theater performance venues, the Mainstage Theater and the Studio Theatre; this includes set up for non-theater events in the two spaces.
- Supervise crew of students who work for public performances
- Create and maintain a calendar with all dates for major events in EMU’s Mainstage and Studio Theaters.
- Work with the Theatre Program Director and the Visual and Communication Arts department chair to assure balanced budgets
- Occasionally teach a course in technical theater
- Responsible for setup and running AV for non-theater events
POSITION DETAILS: This is a year-to-year renewable full-time, nine-month contract position with benefits.
INQUIRIES: Application review will begin immediately. EMU reserves the right to fill this position immediately or to extend the search as circumstances may warrant. Send application, resume, and contact information for three references to:
Dr. Deirdre L. Smeltzer, Vice President & Undergraduate Academic Dean
Eastern Mennonite University
1200 Park Road
Harrisonburg, VA 22802
Eastern Mennonite University is an equal opportunity employer, committed to enhancing diversity across the institution. Eastern Mennonite University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity. EMU conducts criminal background investigations as part of the hiring process.
Eastern Mennonite University pursues creativity, innovation, and excellence in all educational programs and invites students to experience Christ and follow His call to witness faithfully, serve compassionately, and walk boldly in the way of nonviolence and peace.