Dean (Humanities and Social Sciences)
The Dean of Humanities and Social Sciences has broad responsibilities for the planning, development, assessment, and support of Social Sciences and Philosophy, World Languages, General Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, English, Integrated Learning Studies and Communication. The Dean must provide effective communication and organization to ensure that these departments and programs operate efficiently and effectively with a student’s first mindset.
Reporting to the Provost and Senior Vice President, the Dean will assist with planning and outcomes assessment; program review and program development; faculty development; and resource allocation, including staffing. The Dean, at the direction of the Provost, assumes college-wide responsibilities as appropriate.
- Work with faculty, department chairs, and program coordinators to plan, develop, execute and assess academic programs.
- Collaborate with other Deans and the Provost to advance academic priorities.
- Maintain adjunct rosters by discipline/sub-discipline in accordance with contracts.
- Ensure appropriate assignment of adjunct faculty to sections, working with department chairs.
- Respond to class coverage issues.
- Participate in the process to assign new positions to departments.
- Participate in faculty selection process, as appropriate.
- Verifies and approves faculty credentials within the Division of Humanities and Social Sciences and advises the Provost.
- Provide feedback and support to tenured and untenured faculty as needed.
- Deal with issues regarding staffing challenges, concerns, and behaviors.
- Advise Provost on divisional staffing needs and issues.
- Oversee the systematic and routine assessment of all academic programs and services to ensure continuous improvement. Work effectively with faculty to implement necessary improvements.
- Work with departments to ensure master schedule meets student needs, including the ability to complete programs timely.
- Work with Enrollment Management to support necessary schedule adjustments based on registration.
- Serve as the first line of review of student issues beyond the Department Chair.
- Serve as the Division point of contact on student conduct issues/conduct process.
- Assist Provost with the preparation and submission of SUNY/State Ed documentation.
- Assist departments with program review/comprehensive review/ assessment processes.
- Work with Provost and department chairs to develop and implement the annual budget process for the academic division of the college in alignment with the college’s strategic plan.
- Serve as first line supervisor to faculty and department chairs ensuring adherence to the contract and consistency with policies.
- Support accreditation work as needed for Middle States.
- Organize and hold regular division meetings.
- Support effective communication across the division and college.
- Interacts with community groups and local school districts regarding their specific training needs.
- Attends the workplace regularly, is visible on campus, reports to work punctually, and follows a work schedule to keep up with the demands of the worksite. This may include some evenings and weekends depending on the academic calendar and special events.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Full-time teaching experience to include community colleges.
- Administrative experience at the department chair level or higher that supports the performance of the identified responsibilities
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A strong commitment to the mission of the community college and underserved populations.
- Experience with diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability and ethnic backgrounds of students, faculty, staff, and community members.
- Demonstrated ability to lead with empathy, patience, tact, diplomacy, and resolve.
- Demonstrated knowledge of curriculum development and college policies within a context of shared governance.
For full description and to apply: https://sunyocc.peopleadmin.com/ The successful candidate will be required to submit official college transcripts at the time of hire.