Senior Director Educational Initiatives
USC is a leading private research university located in the heart of downtown Los Angeles – a global center for arts, technology and international business. As the largest private employer in the city – responsible for more than $5 billion annually in economic activity in the region – we offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic and diverse environment, in careers that span a broad spectrum of talents and skills. As a USC employee, you will enjoy excellent benefits and perks, and you will be a member of the Trojan Family - the faculty, staff, students and alumni who make USC a great place to work.
The MESH team is seeking an experienced college-level educator to spearhead the creation of interdisciplinary educational programs focused on human health and disease. Programs may touch all areas of the MESH mission: Medicine, Engineering, Science, and Humanities. Programs will be at the undergraduate and graduate level and include seminar series, courses, certificate programs, and degree-granting programs. Please note, this position is a staff position (non-faculty position).
- Create interdisciplinary and/or innovation-centered curricula at the undergraduate and graduate level
- Research and identify trends and needs and establish program directions accordingly
- Determine, through gap analysis, appropriate areas for program focus
- Plan and develop course content, topics and materials
- Recruit faculty and instructors
- Complete necessary steps for curricular approval
- Serve as program director
- Serve as student adviser
- Oversee admissions and recruitment
- Assess program quality and track over time with appropriate metrics
- Collect data and write reports and/or papers for publication
- Teach in courses related to programs developed above
- Develop lesson plans, lecture materials, homework assignments, and lecture materials
- Grade assignments and exams
- Advise and support students
- Obtain grant and other sources of funding to support educational programs at the undergraduate and graduate level
- Identify opportunities and match them to appropriate programs/courses
- Manage and oversee grant applications (with administrative support)
- Develop strategies for marketing and promotion of educational programs, including personal networking, web, social media, publications, newsletters, and events
- Link program with other relevant departments on or off campus as necessary
- Represent the program and university as an authority in field. Respond to requests for information, advice or assistance from colleagues, the media, professional or industry associations, etc.
- At minimum, doctoral degree (e.g. PhD, EdD, PharmD, etc.)
- Minimum 7 years of experience
- Experience in university setting, especially in the health or life sciences
- Experience developing, launching, and directing curricular programs
- Experience obtaining grant funding for educational programs
- Experience as a tenure-track or non-tenure-track faculty member at a university desired
- Experience collaborating with faculty across disciplines on research projects, initiatives, committees, etc.
Please provide a cover letter along with your resume submission.
Why join the MESH team?
The MESH (Medicine, Engineering, Science, and Humanities) Academy is a joint initiative of the Keck School of Medicine and the Office of the Provost. Our mission is to empower the convergence of disciplines and the solving of health challenges through educational programs, support for innovation and entrepreneurship, and corporate relations. Our team was founded in 2017 and we are fast-growing, nimble, and lean. We embrace the start-up mentality of creative solutions, fast turnaround time, and individual empowerment. We work with USC and external constituents across a wide variety of disciplines and seniority levels.
For more information on MESH, visit https://keck.usc.edu/mesh-academy/
• Minimum Education: Master's degree, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education
• Minimum Experience: 7 years
• Minimum Field of Expertise: Directly related program management experience. Expert knowledge of field, teaching experience and/or active in research. Ability to manage sponsored projects and fundraise.
• At minimum, doctoral degree (e.g. PhD, EdD, PharmD, etc.)
• Minimum 7 years of experience
• Experience in university setting, especially in the health or life sciences
• Experience developing, launching, and directing curricular programs
• Experience obtaining grant funding for educational programs
• Experience as a tenure-track or non-tenure-track faculty member at a university desired
• Experience collaborating with faculty across disciplines on research projects, initiatives, committees, etc.
USC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law or USC policy. USC will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring ordinance. We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should contact USC Human Resources by phone at (213) 821-8100, or by email at [email protected]. Inquiries will be treated as confidential to the extent permitted by law.