Vice President for Enrollment and Marketing
About Mills College:
Located in Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is an independent college for women and gender non-binary students, with graduate programs for all genders. Consistently ranked one of the top master's universities and one of the best value colleges in the West by U.S. News & World Report, Mills also has been named one of the Best Colleges in the nation by The Princeton Review. The Mills experience is distinguished by small, interactive classes, one-on-one attention from exceptional faculty, a culture of creative experimentation, and cutting-edge interdisciplinary learning opportunities which empower students to make a statement in their careers and communities. As one of the most diverse colleges in the country, we have a strong record of academic success with first-generation students, students of color, Latinx students, LGBTQ+ students, and other underrepresented students.
Mills College encourages diversity in hiring and particularly welcomes applications and nominations from women, gender non-binary individuals, and minorities. Mills seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice. In so doing, we offer our students not only the opportunity to engage with diverse perspectives, but also access to a variety of ways of knowing and learning. For more information, please visit www.mills.edu.
Mills College seeks a dynamic, experienced enrollment and marketing leader to join our leadership team as Vice President for Enrollment and Marketing. This is an opportunity to have a tremendous impact by creating and implementing a visionary and strategic enrollment management strategy, marketing and communications plans while working in close collaboration with Mills' diverse campus administrative leadership, faculty, and staff. The VP for Enrollment and Marketing will enable Mills to accelerate its institutional transformation by promoting inclusive excellence, gender and racial justice, and accessibility and sustainability.
The VP will serve as Mills' strategic and operational lead in recruiting, admitting, retaining, and marketing to students as well as managing and communicating financial aid awards. The incumbent will also be an essential part of the President's collaborative leadership team. The VP will assess, develop and implement strategic marketing, communications, and enrollment plans, aligning enrollment, financial aid, communications, and marketing with the College's mission. An openness to innovation, curiosity about the students of the present and the future, and ability to work closely and effectively with the President and other College Officers, Board of Trustees, alums, faculty, staff, and community are essential to success in this role. The VP will join the College Officers, the leadership team of President Elizabeth L. Hillman, reporting directly to the President.
The VP must understand best practices in successful programs for admissions and financial aid management, possess an in-depth understanding of student market trends and prospect development, be prepared to communicate strategically, and leverage technology for communication and data-driven decision making. To be successful, the VP must possess excellent analytical, communication, and interpersonal skills, including the ability to develop talented staff and manage change across the institution. The VP will:
- Develop a vision and strategy to grow enrollment in graduate and professional as well as undergraduate programs;
- Establish institutional priorities to develop a strategic enrollment and marketing plan;
- Leverage and help evolve the Mills brand as the College evolves;
- Establish and capitalize on strategic use of financial aid and marketing at the undergraduate, graduate, and professional level;
- Lead coordinated, strategic communications within and outside of Mills, both during crises and in support of mission;
- Improve the communications and integration of admissions and financial aid through team building, staff professional development, and streamlined processes;
- Increase visibility to expand a diverse pool of qualified students and promote Mills;
- Build appropriate channels to engage volunteer leaders in the Mills alumnae community - nationally and globally - in expanding Mills' applicant pool;
- Enhance a growing partnership with the Provost and Dean of the Faculty, deans, faculty, and the Division of Student Life to support student success and retention; and
- Expand the use of technology and data analytics.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Extensive knowledge of best practices, national trends and developments in marketing, admissions, retention and financial aid;
- Understanding of and commitment to women's education and diversity, and the ability to effectively communicate the mission and values of the College to internal and external groups.
- Demonstrated record of achievement in senior-level enrollment management, preferably in private, non-profit higher education.
- Advanced knowledge of recruiting and admissions marketing best practices;
- A minimum of 8 years of demonstrated progressive leadership in higher education management, marketing, admissions, financial aid, and student retention;
- Experience in budget preparation and administration as well as success in financial aid modeling with ability to do clear quantitative reporting;
- A strong track record and demonstrated skill in managing undergraduate and graduate admissions and financial aid programs at a tuition driven institution;
- Ability to gather and analyze data and trends with a strong aptitude for implementing systems, monitoring progress, and measuring achievement;
- A flexible, hands-on, and open management style that delegates authority, empowers staff, sets high expectations, and holds departmental colleagues accountable. A demonstrated track record of managing, motivating, and mentoring team members to maximize individual and collective performance;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, faculty, staff, trustees, alumnae/i and the public;
- Collaborative, supportive, and strong leadership style;
- Strong analytical and research skills;
- Demonstrated creativity and willingness to take calculated risks to accomplish the goals of the College;
- Background as a change agent with the vision and courage to break new ground and establish the highest standards of excellence while balancing the day-to-day needs of the institution in a collegial atmosphere;
- Ability to become a trusted and respected partner of the College's leadership team who is willing to listen and then gets things done;
- Strong organizational skills, adept at switching priorities without losing momentum, handling multiple tasks despite frequent interruptions;
- Excellent organizational, administrative and project management skills to include the ability to diagnose critical areas of attention and stay focused, and then translate strategies into concrete action;
- Strong judgment and ability to exercise tact and sensitivity in dealing with complex issues and situations coupled with the requisite skill to base decisions on the institution's best interest, take action, and implement strategy within appropriate deadlines;
- Exceptional interpersonal, written and verbal communications skills to articulate and explain complex issues to the President's cabinet, faculty, senior staff, trustees, students and other stakeholders;
- Integrity and high standards of professional conduct.
- Effective oral and written communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills.
Education and Training:
- A master's degree in a related field required, doctorate degree preferred.
This is an exempt, full-timeposition with an FTE of 1.0. Salary is commensurate with experience, andincludes an excellent benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life/LTD insurance, 403(b) retirement plan plus match after qualifying period, 22 days of vacation per year, 12 sick days and a minimum of 10 paid holidays annually. Staff members also receive free admission to campus events, use of the pool, fitness center, and tennis courts. Tuition remission is also available after an introductory period. Voluntary benefits include: pet insurance, long-term care insurance and legal-assistance insurance.
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills' non-discrimination policy, please go to http://www.mills.edu/administration/administrative_offices/policies/nondiscrimination.php.
To apply, please submit the following at https://mills.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=99284
- cover letter, and
- contact information for 3 references