#075-18 ASSOCIATE BUDGET AND ADMINISTRATIVE PROCESS OFFICER
Applications will be received no later than 11:59 p.m. on June 29, 2018 (Chamorro Standard Time/UTC+10).
(Note to applicants in the mainland United States: Please be advised that Guam is a day ahead of the mainland United States.)
The University of Guam seeks an Administrator who is interested in new challenges and opportunities for professional and personal growth and who is interested in working in a dynamic, multi-cultural institution of higher education in the Pacific.
The Associate Budget and Administrative Process Officer (ABAPO), under the general direction of the Vice President, Administration and Finance (VPAF), is primarily responsible for the development and management of the University’s annual budget, provision of management information, management of financial services and controls, project management for financial and administrative systems, and business and administrative process redesign and simplification consistent with the University’s mission, accreditation standards, autonomy and academic freedom. The ABAPO supports the achievement of institutional purposes and educational objectives through the management of the University’s financial resources and strategic administrative processes in a manner that creates a higher quality environment for student learning. The position manages the activities of a small staff of finance and administrative professionals.
CHARACTER OF DUTIES:
Major duties and responsibilities shall include, but will not be limited to, the following:
- Administer the development of budgets integrated with the University’s strategic plan that meet institutional and educational objectives for academic quality, student learning and success, community engagement, and institutional effectiveness and efficiency
- Develop cash projections on a monthly and five year basis in the order to ensure sufficient financial resources to sustain academic learning and meet accreditation standards for fiscal resources
- Lead the annual budget development effort to meet University needs including:
- Direct and organize efforts of VPs, deans, directors, Student Government Association, college administrative chairs, faculty, and others in budget development, management, and reporting for operations, auxiliary units, and non-appropriated funds in a context of shared governance and accreditation standards related to fiscal resources
- Prepare capital budgets that tie the University’s strategic initiatives to fiscal resource availability and conduct feasibility studies for academic and administrative resources and develop funding options from sources available to higher education
- Assist in the development of capital project progress reports
- Evaluate related legislation and monitor revenues and expenditures providing regular financial reporting administrators, Board of Regents and accrediting bodies
- Lead financial and administrative systems projects and process redesign projects, particularly Colleague applications, within the context of a collaborative higher education administrative model
- Assess budget and strategic administrative systems, processes and support services for accreditation, compliance, best practice, financial autonomy and sufficiency of resources for institutional excellence and accreditation
- Serve on University committees including the Administrative Council the University Planning and Budget Advisory Committee
- Administer decision-making and management information systems providing regular, periodic and ad hoc financial and administrative information for senior management and for periodic reporting to accreditation bodies
- Collaborate with academic colleges and units to achieve goals related to student learning, diversity, and performance by identifying financial resource needs and changes in allocations/staffing patterns and by leading complex research and studies to evaluate the financial and administrative impacts of academic programs and projects
- Assess financial outcomes and support in coordination with the college deans and other administrators
- Advise administrators on budget and financial controls, interpretation and application of financial policy and procedures, NACUBO benchmarking, and on legislation affecting financial and administrative policies for higher education
- Participate and support Board of Regents committee meetings
- Plan, assign, supervise, coordinate, and evaluate subordinates in accordance with University needs and policies
- Perform other duties as assigned
Minimum: Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business or Public Administration, or closely related field. 5 years of professional experience in the practice of accounting, finance, business or public administration and 3 years experience as a supervisor, manager, or project leader with at least 2 of these years in higher education. Knowledge of accreditation standards, administrative policies, procedures, and processes in a higher education. Experience in the principles, practices, techniques of government budget development and University fund accounting. Ability to communicate and work effectively with the public, students, with employees at all levels, and with government officials.
Preferred: Experience in the use of Datatel’s Colleague system or another integrated enterprise system used in higher education. A Master’s Degree in preferred.
Applicants for University of Guam administrator positions must complete an online job application through the UOG online employment portal at https://uog.peopleadmin.com. Please have the following documents prepared and ready to upload with your application:
(1) Letter of application that describes candidate’s qualifications
(2) Curriculum vitae
(3) Copies of all graduate and undergraduate transcripts
Special Instructions for References: Three (3) current letters of recommendation from persons knowledgeable about your academic and professional performance must be provided by providing a list of at least three (3) references to be contacted on the References section of the online application. Enter each reference by clicking on the “Add References Entry” button. Provide the name, title, email address, mailing address, and telephone number of each reference. A system automated email will be sent to each reference’s email address with a link to attach their reference letter to your application.
Selected candidate must provide official transcripts prior to hire date. For further information, please contact Mr. Randall V. Wiegand, Search Committee Chair, at [email protected] or the Human Resources Office at [email protected], telephone number, (671) 735-2350 or fax number at (671) 734-6005.
Police and Court Clearance: Pursuant to Public Law No. 28-24 and Executive Order 2005-34, applicants selected for a position are required to provide original police and court (Superior Court of Guam) clearances of no more than three (3) months old prior to commencement of employment.
Applicants must provide police and court clearances to verify that they were not convicted of any crimes connected to the position applied for and were not convicted of any crimes that prohibit employment. Off-island applicants must obtain clearances from their place of residence to include county and state clearances. Applicants are responsible for fees associated with obtaining the clearances.