Student Financial Services Specialist
Lynn University is an independent, innovative college based in warm, sunny Boca Raton, Florida. We're consistently recognized by The Chronicle of Higher Education as a "Great College to Work For" in such areas as compensation and benefits; work/life balance; job satisfaction; and respect and appreciation.
Our nearly 3,000 students hail from approximately 100 countries and nearly all 50 states, making Lynn one of the top five most international schools for our size. Our campus is a melting pot of cultures and beliefs, and we pride ourselves on our ability to embrace new ideas.
As a Lynn employee, you'll be free to think differently. You'll enjoy on-campus events and workshops that aim to reduce stress and celebrate community. And most importantly, you'll be doing your part to build a better future.
Lynn is currently accepting applications for the position of Student Financial Services (SFS) Specialist. This position serves as the initial point of contact for students and parents visiting or calling SFS. The position of Specialist, seeks to promote superior customer service in the areas of financial aid and student accounts. This cross-functional service at the front counter focuses on areas of financial aid; student accounts receivable, billing, and financial records. The Specialist will also play a role in the different Outreach activities organized by the department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Analyze student financial aid, accounts receivable and to respond to student inquiry.
- Counsel active and inactive students on financial matters that involve proactive problem solving and on the spot problem solutions.
- The SFS Specialist's primary goal is to provide students with quality service by educating students on financial aid, accounts receivable, deadlines, and procedures.
- Follows up on complaints until they are resolved and attend to complex issues with minimal supervision.
- Contacts parents, faculty, staff, and collegiate departments in order to answer, assist, clarify, intercede, and advocate any concerns or issues students may have.
- Assists students on the process of applying for financial aid, payments, and retrieval of documents online.
- Coordinates the student withdrawal process within SFS which incorporates all those students withdrawn, conferred and cancelled.
- Assists with default prevention through decreasing delinquent account balances and ensuring payments are timely.
- Assists on Outreach projects and presentations.
- Attends Open House events to assist parents and prospective students with any financial questions .
- Assists Senior Specialist with the training and coordination of projects for Federal Work Study Students .
- Assists with processing of Employee Scholarship Applications.
- Runs reports to determine those students missing financial documents and financial balances.
- Serves as back up to the Office Assistant in terms of coordinating incoming communications via email and phone.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution.
- Minimum of three years' experience in finance, financial aid processing and awarding.
- Self-motivated with focus on problem solving that produce results.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to multi-task and function in a fast paced environment.
- Proven Ability to work effectively independently and as a team member.
- Ability to work flexible hours as may be required during peak processing time.
- Ability to meet expectation of managing daily workflow within set deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Knowledge in the use of PowerFaids, Jenzabar, Excel, Word, Outlook, Power Point, and Image Now preferred.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Ability to stand, walk or reach with hands and arms up to 1/3 of the time. Ability to sit, use hands to finger, handle or feel over 2/3 of the time. Ability to talk or hear over 2/3 of the time. Ability to lift up to 25 pounds up to 1/3 of the time. This job requires peripheral vision. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Accreditation and equal opportunity
Lynn University is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, pregnancy or parenting status, veteran status, retirement status, or any other characteristic protected by law. In accordance with Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Lynn University does not discriminate on the basis of sex. Inquiries concerning the application of the non-discrimination policy may be directed to the University Compliance Officer/Title IX Coordinator at 3601 N. Military Trail, Boca Raton, FL 33431; via email at firstname.lastname@example.org; by phone at +1 561-237-7727 or to the U.S. Dept. of Education OCR.
Lynn University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award baccalaureate, masters and doctoral degrees. Contact the SACSCOC at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call +1 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Lynn University. 2016 Lynn University 08/16.
Americans with Disabilities Act
Please notify us at least five days in advance if a reasonable accommodation for a disability is needed by calling +1 561-237-7639.
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with the Clery Act, the University annually provides a report to each student and current employee, as well as to prospective employees and students, that provides a detailed disclosure of information regarding campus security practices (including Emergency Response Plan, Timely Warnings, Emergency Warnings, Missing Persons, fire safety policies, fire prevention data, and Crime Log policies), as well as crime and fire-related incident statistics for the preceding year. The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at lynn.edu/securityreport
For your health, Lynn University is now smoke- and tobacco-free.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.