Adjunct Speech Faculty
MMCC seeks individuals who: value collegiality and mutual respect; use data in decision-making; are innovative; are service minded; are goal-oriented; strive to continually improve themselves and their work processes; are willing to collaborate and seek to add value in every interaction.
This position involves teaching the range of courses in speech communications in the classroom, and possibly online. Assignments could be on either the Mt. Pleasant or Harrison campus, with the possibility of both day and night courses, for a maximum load of 28 credit hours taught during the fall/winter semesters.
**Review of applications will begin July 1, 2018. Position will remain posted until filled.**
- Teach assigned courses.
- Develop and update syllabi, according to departmental course objectives, for courses assigned.
- Develop appropriate assessment tools to determine course effectiveness and assure that student outcomes are achieved.
- Assess student academic achievement.
- Participate in the department’s assessment of student learning outcomes.
- Maintain and report appropriate classroom records: g., grades, attendance, etc.
- Work collaboratively with other departmental faculty on projects aimed at assessing and improving student learning.
- Hold office hours for assisting students.
- Participate in adjunct faculty development.
- Maintain regular communication with Library and Learning Services staff.
- Attend, facilitate, and/or lead departmental meetings and in-service programs within the department and college-wide.
- Support and serve as a role model for our mission, vision, and student service initiatives. Adhere to the policies, procedures, and compliance guidelines of the college.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Knowledge of course content and objectives for the speech offerings.
- Ability to develop and effectively deliver course content/objectives and facilitate an effective learning environment for students to maximize their success.
- Knowledge of computer and educational technology and ability to effectively integrate technology into the classroom.
- Must possess excellent interpersonal skills and be comfortable working in a close, collaborative manner with other faculty and administration.
- Master’s degree in Speech or Communication required.
- Two years of teaching experience required, preferably at the college level.
- Previous experience in a community college environment preferred.
- Experience with online instruction preferred.
- The job responsibilities of this position are performed in a classroom environment which requires a professional image and demeanor, on-time attendance and reliability. The environment has little, if any discomfort due to heat, cold or dust. There is light noise within the environment.
- There may be travel to other college locations for meetings. Travel between campus locations is required.
- Job duties may be performed in an independent or a team atmosphere.
- The job has intermittent periods during which continuous physical exertion is required, such as walking, standing, sitting, stooping, bending, climbing, lifting material or equipment, some of which may be heavy or awkward (5- 45 pounds).
- Must meet reasonable and sometimes shifting deadlines, quotas, or demands for accuracy, and may be involved in some unpleasant situations.
- Work scheduled may vary each semester depending on class times/locations.
Note: This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by a person assigned to this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties that may be performed by a person so classified. Incumbents may be asked to perform additional duties as required by his/her supervisor.
MMCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.