Director of Admission
Connecticut College, a private, coeducational, liberal arts college in New London, Connecticut, invites candidates for the position of Director of Admission. Reporting to the Dean of Admission and Financial Aid and serving as a senior leader in the enrollment division of the college, the successful candidate will assist in all facets of the solicitation, selection, and recruitment of prospective students to the College. The College seeks a dynamic, student-centered, analytically inclined individual prepared to engage and recruit the College’s next generation of outstanding students.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Work closely with the Dean of Admission & Financial Aid and senior enrollment team to craft and implement enrollment strategies to continue the tradition of excellence at the College.
- Contribute to, and assist in the execution, of the College’s enrollment plan, including but not limited to recruitment oriented travel strategies, budget allocation, merit aid utilization, supervision of counseling/recruitment staff, and campus visit initiatives.
- Balance data analysis with qualitative assessment/evaluation in the supervision of staff – specifically in relation to travel and campus visit performance.
- Knit together an admission office team that is dedicated to a student-centered and welcoming environment, committed to the admission, recruitment, and retention of outstanding students through exceptional relationship building with students, families, alumni, and high school counselors.
- Informed by the College’s strategic plan, design and assist in the recruitment of an increasingly diverse student body.
- Forge positive relationships across campus constituencies to advance enrollment objectives through campus partnerships.
- Train, develop, evaluate and mentor a staff of up to 10 professionals, both on campus and off campus.
- Manage special projects and work to develop new and creative programs to enhance prospect development
- Provide information and counseling to prospective students, parents, counselors and other interested parties by interviews, group presentations, school visits, receptions and application follow-up
- Review applications individually and in committee, recommend candidates for admission
- Prepare statistical and area reports for the Admissions Committee including appropriate recommendations or conclusions
Qualifications, Qualities, Characteristics
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in Liberal Arts with over eight years of admissions experience
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Superior interpersonal skills
- Ability to make clear and concise presentations
- Ability to create and execute innovative admissions programs
- Excellent attention to detail, and strong computer skills
- Ability to build and sustain key relationships with staff and faculty, students and off campus contacts
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to set priorities and meet deadlines
- Travel required
Qualities & Characteristics
- Vision and leadership. Ability to lead a team-based admission organization, balancing needs of the institution, the office, and the individuals associated with it. Possessing an innovative spirit that is accepting of change and creative in implementing new admission strategies. Holding a personal commitment to celebrating success and inspiring joy in other’s work.
- Proven success in admission and creativity regarding market development/evolution. Generate recruitment practices in step with market realities for the College and embrace and navigate successful changes in admission practices that are proactive and responsive.
- Outstanding communicator. Successfully engage multiple community and external constituencies and effectively reflect the College’s mission and values. Provide clear and concise expectations for recruitment staff as admission practices evolve.
- Commitment to diversity. Ability to embrace and articulate the value of an increasingly diverse learning community at the College. Effectively engage with varied constituencies to support the College’s goal to recruit students from traditionally underrepresented populations.
- Personal qualities. Outstanding listener with strong relational skills. Eagerness to collaborate, with a mindset toward team building and developing an admission staff with a shared vision to reach institutional goals.
About Connecticut College
Connecticut College is a highly selective, private liberal arts college in the historic seaport of New London. Our 750-acre arboretum campus overlooks Long Island Sound and the Thames River. Founded in 1911, the College enrolls 1,800 students from across the country and around the world. The College offers more than 1,000 courses in 30 academic departments and more than 40 traditional majors. Close to 55 percent of our students study abroad, and nearly 80 percent participate in the paid summer internship program. Graduates are creative, adaptive thinkers prepared to take on complex challenges with an academic foundation rooted in integrated study, research opportunities and service learning.
A member of the New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC), one of the top NCAA Division III conferences in the country, Connecticut College features a selective admission process. Application volume in the last three years have seen a low of 5,433 and a record high 6,433 and admit rates of 35%, 38%, and 37.5%. Within the Class of 2021 50% of the students were from the top 10% of their class; and among the 67% who submitted test scores the middle 50% scored between 640 and 720 on the SAT evidence based reading and writing, between 640 and 730 SAT Math, and between 30 and 33 on the ACT. Seven percent were international students; 23% were U.S. students of color. The Class of 2022 is the largest class in a decade and the most diverse.
Connecticut College reaches prospective students in a variety of ways including through travel with 8 of the Best, a group of nationally recognized selective liberal arts colleges; and participation in the Posse program, Chicago, whose students are selected for their academic and leadership potential by the Posse Foundation.
With more than 98% of students living on campus, Connecticut College offers students an integrated residential life program featuring 23 residential houses that serve as active learning communities. All members of the Connecticut College community revel in the strong, rich traditions that include a living honor code and a mission of shared governance.
President Katherine Bergeron and recent advancements at Connecticut College
Katherine Bergeron became the 11th president of Connecticut College on Jan. 1, 2014. From her first year in office, she has supported the development of a bold new venture in integrative education. The resulting vision, called Connections, asks all students to make deeper linkages between the work they do in courses, in jobs, in the community, and around the globe, in order to prepare them for leadership in an era of change: liberal arts for the interconnected world.
During Bergeron’s tenure, Connecticut College received the largest gift in its history to support financial aid, career education, and athletics. A $10 million renovation transformed the Charles E. Shain Library into a vibrant, modern space for teaching and learning. A new strategic plan and campus master plan are now building on that strength. In 2018, Connecticut College opened the Otto and Fran Walter Commons for Global Study and Engagement and the announced the attainment of two leadership gifts amounting to $20 million – a $10 million grant from the Sherman Fairchild Foundation and a $10 million gift from Nancy Marshall Athey ’72 and Preston Athey – that will support the renovation of Palmer Auditorium into a new and revitalized center for performance and creative research.
Before arriving at Connecticut College, Bergeron was dean of the college at Brown University. A Phi Beta Kappa graduate of Wesleyan University, Bergeron earned master’s and doctoral degrees in music history from Cornell University, and is the author of numerous scholarly publications, including two prize-winning books on French music and culture.
She serves on the Editorial Advisory Board of Liberal Education, the flagship journal of the Association of American Colleges and Universities; the Executive Committee of the Council of Independent Colleges, the Board of the Association of American Colleges and Universities; the Commission on Institutes of Higher Education for the New England Association of Schools and Colleges; and the Board of the Eastern Connecticut Symphony Orchestra.
To learn more about Connecticut College, go to https://www.conncoll.edu/
Location: New London, Connecticut
Situated between the Thames River and the Long Island Sound, New London’s coastal orientation is both picturesque and practical. Connecticut College is located equidistant from New York City and Boston, and is in easy driving distance of several major airports including T.F. Green in Providence, RI, and Bradley International in Hartford, CT.
Napier Executive Search is assisting Connecticut College to search for a Director of Admission. For a confidential conversation, or if you wish to nominate someone for this position, contact Mary Napier at email@example.com or Nancy Benedict at firstname.lastname@example.org If you wish to apply, please send a résumé; a cover letter outlining your specific interest in this opportunity at Connecticut College; and, contact information for three professional references by email to: email@example.com For assurance of full consideration, please submit materials before July 10. There is an anticipated start date of late summer 2018. All applications and nominations will be considered confidential and notice will be given before references are contacted.
Connecticut College is committed to creating a vibrant community enriched by diverse perspectives, talents and experiences. We encourage applications from candidates who share this commitment and will contribute to the diversity of our college community, especially members of historically under-represented groups. AA/EOE
Apply for Director of Admission
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly