Senior Director of Access and Education
The Common Application is a not-for-profit member organization of more than 800 leading colleges and universities in the United States and around the world. Since 1975, The Common Application has been committed to the pursuit of access, equity, and integrity in the college admission process. Each year, over 1 million students use the Common Application online system to submit more than 5 million applications.
Reporting to the Chief Relationship Officer, the Senior Director of Access and Education is responsible for planning, development, and implementation of all the Organization’s access initiatives for students and those who support students. S/he will create innovative, engaging, and accessible programming that expands understanding and use of the Common Application and promotes a college-going mindset. The Senior Director of Access and Education identifies and prioritizes potential collaborators among schools and school districts, mission-aligned organizations, government agencies, advocacy groups, and researchers; and develops and leads programmatic collaboration with targeted groups.
We are looking for a mission-driven, collaborative, and strategic-minded leader with strong communication skills and a passion for education, marketing, and communications. This is the ideal position for a hardworking, adaptable, creative, and innovative individual looking to work in a collaborative and collegial workplace, learning from, with, and among smart, interesting, and fun professionals.
Senior Director of Access and Education
Reports to the Chief Relationship Officer
Essential Responsibilities / Duties:
- Research and understand the unique needs of underrepresented, transfer, and adult learner populations and work within the organization to develop resources that address those needs.
- Lead and coordinate the association’s curricular participation in educational conferences, including proposal submission, presentation development, and staff recruitment.
- Ensure the interests and perspectives of students and those who support students are represented in decisions impacting product and programs.
- Cultivate and maintain productive relationships with potential collaborators among schools and school districts, mission-aligned organizations, government agencies, advocacy groups, and researchers.
- Represent The Common Application at regional and national conferences. Actively engage the counseling, transfer, and advising community in the refinement and development of educational tools and resources.
- Research and facilitate education policy discussions as they relate to The Common Application.
- Oversee and manage The Common Application’s organizational memberships.
- Guide the efforts of a small team responsible for planning and implementing outreach efforts to students and those who support their diverse educational pathways.
- Collaborate on the creation of innovative programming, services and resources that support and complement the association's mission.
- Some travel may be required.
Desired Skills and Experiences:
- Bachelor's degree required; advanced degree preferred.
- 10+ years of experience in higher education outreach and working with access initiatives either at a school, university, or not-for-profit association.
- Experience with the college admission profession.
- Deep knowledge of the path-to-college landscape.
- Superior oral and written communication skills, including proofreading and editing.
- Grace and diplomacy in challenging situations.
- Strong desire to work within a highly collaborative environment coupled with the ability to manage projects independently.
- Excellent manager, able to engage and motivate staff individually and collectively, creating a strong and autonomous team capable of meeting and exceeding ambitious goals.
- Flexibility to work within a rapidly evolving organization.
- Experience implementing programs that support The Common Application's mission.
- Strong leadership, strategy, and coaching skills.
- Communicative, generous, and collaborative leadership style that fosters an environment of trust among a broad stakeholder community (internal and external).
- Ability to work successfully and creatively in a fast-paced and changing environment while maintaining composure and a sense of humor.
- Willingness to learn new tools and stay abreast of higher education trends.
- Knowledge of finance, especially expense management, budgeting, and profit and loss statements, is desirable.
We value our employees’ time and efforts. Our commitment to your success is enhanced by our competitive salary and an extensive benefits package including paid time off, medical, dental and vision benefits and future growth opportunities within the organization. Plus, we work to maintain the best possible environment for our staff, where people can learn and grow. We strive to provide a collaborative, creative workplace where each person feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning and culture.
To respond to this opportunity, send resume with cover letter to: email@example.com
Apply for Senior Director of Access and Education
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly