Assistant Vice President for Research and Innovation-603694
- Works with the VPR and members of the Research Division senior staff to implement programs, processes, and procedures to realize the University’s strategic vision for research and innovation.
- Assists the VPR in development and implementation of research investment strategies, research and intellectual property policy, research center development, research partnerships, and other activities of the research and innovation enterprise.
- Manages the University’s Research TRIF program; coordinates the development of TRIF business plans outlining how the university will invest TRIF funds; coordinates the implementation of the plan and assesses impact.
- Directs intramural research grant and research recognition programs. Develops and implements new programs; assesses impact of intramural grant programs; advises the VPR and Associate Vice President for Research with regard to decisions to provide intramural funding on both a competitive and non-competitive basis; advises the VPR on making targeted, strategic investments.
- Participates in research analytics, providing reliable and timely high-level data management and trend analyses that support reporting, strategic planning, and decision-making. Assesses quantitative analytics needs and works collaboratively with Institutional Research and Analysis, the Office of Sponsored Projects, the Provost’s office, and other campus units to meet those needs. Manages processes for completing annual, national surveys such as NSF HERD, AUTM Licensing Survey, NIH-NSF GSS. Supervises the Division’s Research Analyst, who prepares monthly, quarterly, and annual reports, the above-mentioned surveys, and ad hoc reports and analyses for research enterprise performance measurement and decision support.
- Provides strategic support for research communications; in collaboration with Marketing and Communications, determines and provides content for the NAU annual research enterprise report, the Arizona Board of Regents (ABOR) Annual Report, ABOR TRIF report, the annual Daily Sun Science & Research insert, research or technology-related articles for the Phoenix Business Journal, bi-annual research newsletter, promotional brochures for external events, and other marketing collateral.
- Directs NAU’s technology commercialization activities. Supervises a Patent Manager and a Licensing Officer (2 FTE) who carry out the day-to-day activities. Serves as the institutional Intellectual Property (IP) Official.
- Encourages and supports researchers in the development, identification, and disclosure of IP. Assists faculty in establishing collaborative relationships with industry, including acquiring industrial grants and developing partnerships.
- Exercises University and Board signature authority in all matters relating to technology commercialization.
- Evaluates and provides funding for requests from NAU innovators for proof-of-concept and other technology development support.
- Coordinates the institutional IP Committee.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- 5 years of experience in an administrative, consultative, managerial, or executive capacity in university technology transfer and intellectual property management
- 5 years of progressive experience in positions directly related to the university research enterprise.
- Bachelor’s degree in physical sciences, engineering, computer science, or life sciences
- Advanced research-based degree in physical sciences, engineering, computer science, or life sciences.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Comprehensive knowledge of the principles and practices of the higher education research enterprise.
- Strong leadership and sound decision making skills, and judgment with the flexibility of thought and approach to produce effective results in a matrix environment.
- Knowledge of general management principles and practices.
- Must be comfortable as a visible leader in research and technology transfer representing himself/herself internally and to the outside community.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Excellent communication skills at executive and strategic level.
- Ability to work effectively in an environment subject to potentially conflicting priorities.
- Strong familiarity with U.S. Patent and Copyright law; strong familiarity with the U.S. and international patenting processes; skills and experience in negotiation of agreements.
- Skill in problem solving, adept at discerning requirements, and managing multiple projects.
- Skill in effectively managing, supervising and evaluating assigned staff.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with faculty, staff, and administrators.
- Ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds.
The Assistant Vice President for Research and Innovation (AVPRI) serves as a thought partner for the Vice President for Research (VPR) and the Research Division senior staff to advance the strategic goals of the University in research and innovation. The AVPRI works closely with the VPR, supporting the leadership, guidance, and decision-making across all research and innovation initiatives, including, short- and long-range resource planning, management of the university’s Technology & Research Initiative Fund (TRIF) program, communications, analytics, and technology transfer. The AVPRI routinely manages sensitive and confidential matters and develops solutions for a wide range of issues.
Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, an employment history verification and a degree verification (in some cases) prior to employment. You may also be required to complete a fingerprint background check.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
Finally, each year the Northern Arizona University Police Department releases an annual security report. The report is a result of the federal law known as the Clery Act and contains policy statements that address the school’s policies, procedures and programs concerning safety and security including policies for responding to emergency situations and sexual offenses. The report contains three years of data for Clery reportable crime statistics for the campus along with the most current year’s Fire Safety Report, which includes policy statements and fire statistics for Flagstaff on-campus student housing.
The report may be viewed at nau.edu/clery or by visiting the NAUPD website at: http://www.nau.edu/police. A printed copy of the report is available upon request by contacting the NAU Police Department, Records Department at (928)523-8884 or by visiting the department at Building 98A on the NAU Mountain Campus.
Commensurate with experience.
This is an Administrator (ADM) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) or the Optional Retirement Program (ORP); 22 days of vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified family members. More information on benefits at NAU is available at https://nau.edu/Human-Resources/Benefits/.
NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus.
Administrators are hired on a contract basis renewable each 6 months according to terms of the Conditions of Administrative Service:
Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). Employees will have 31 days from date of hire to enroll in benefits, and their benefits will then be effective the first day of the pay period following their completed enrollment.
If a new employee chooses the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) retirement option, participation in the ASRS Plan (and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it) will begin on the first of the pay period following 183 days of employment. New employees who choose to participate in the Optional Retirement Plan (ORP; an alternative to the ASRS plan) will begin to participate on the first day of employment. The long-term disability plan that accompanies the ORP will begin on the first day of the pay period following 90 days of employment. More information about NAU benefits is available at hr.nau.edu/benefits.
This vacancy will be open until filled or closed. Review of applications will begin on May 7, 2018.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button at the end of the job description, if viewing this position through the NAU HR website. Otherwise, to view the original post and to apply, proceed to nau.jobs, follow the 'Faculty and Administrator Openings' links, locate vacancy 603694, and then "Apply" at the bottom of the new page.
You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline.
To be considered, complete the online NAU application, and provide a cover letter and resume with 3-5 professional references.
If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on line at http://nau.edu/human-resources/ or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or compensatory time for additional time worked.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.