Job Location Normal, Il 61790
Posting date 06-14-2018
The Application Administrator works within a team environment to maintain, optimize, and provide technical expertise for enterprise and business level information systems (Software Applications and Hardware Components). The incumbent oversees Enterprise and/or Business Applications acting as a Primary Administrator for off the shelf or open source business processing software tools for ITSM, Finance/Accounting Packages, Learning Management, Facilities, Scheduling, Planning, etc. Some of the larger software tools in our environment are Sakai, Ellucian Colleague, Cognos, Oracle Identity Manager, WebTMA, etc. This person will also serve as backup or secondary administrator on other enterprise and/or business applications performing only some of the duties outlined for those specific applications.
- Perform Application Administration and Maintenance which includes tasks like Software Installation, Configuration and Troubleshooting, Performance Tuning, Monitoring, Change Management, Patching, Automation and Integrations.
- Provide technical analysis around how we use and should adopt and/or modify various functionalities of assigned applications.
- Perform Technical Support & Incident Management providing subject-matter expertise on application setup best practices.
- Provide basic Database Administration and Analysis including ad-hoc queries for analysis and reporting.
- Create, Maintain and Update System and Configuration Specific documentation.
- Create test plans and perform testing on application changes.
1. Technically focused Associates' degree from accredited institution or three years hands on work experience with technical software solutions
2. Minimum of two years of experience working as an Application Administrator, Technical Analyst, System Support or related position in an IT environment
3. Understanding of relational database concepts, administration, queries (SQL), and ability to use 1 or more common query/reporting tools (SQL Developer, TOAD, Cognos, SSRS, Crystal Reports)
4. Minimum of one year Experience with Source Control, Defect Management, and ITSM
5. Knowledge of Web Server Software such as Apache, IIS, Tomcat, WebLogic
6. Knowledge and experience working with different Server Operating Systems such as Windows Server (2008R2, 2012, or 2016), Redhat Enterprise Linux,
7. Knowledge of IT Infrastructure Hardware such as Servers, Storage, Networking, Backups
8. Strong customer service skills along with a desire for achieving excellence in customer satisfaction, process and product quality and reliability.
9. Strong Problem Solving ability
10. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, ability to conduct internal and external meetings
11. Ability to work with considerable latitude and independence of action.
12. Be able to clearly communicate complex technical concepts verbally and in writing to management, technical staff, and customers in terms appropriate for each audience
13. Ability to analyze large amounts of detailed information, quickly understand complex issues, and break information down into smaller pieces more manageable pieces
14. Ability to leverage Microsoft Office (including Visio)
15. Ability to adapt quickly to new technologies and changing business requirements
16. If this position is Security Sensitive or if you are subject to a criminal background investigation based on University policy, employment is contingent upon you passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
1. Bachelor's degree or Advanced Degree in IT or related field from accredited institution
2. 3 or more years' work experience on Large Scale Software applications with more than 1000 users
3. Strong project, analysis, and research skills
4. Experience in software testing including creating test plans, creating test cases, test execution, and documenting defects
5. Experience gathering requirements, writing use cases, facilitating meetings, documenting notes, creating deliverables, and establishing healthy business relationships
6. Experience collecting technical requirements and designing appropriate process and/or software solutions
7. Experience and ability to perform various system administration duties for assigned applications including installation, configuration, system backup, monitoring, and patch management
8. Experience leveraging server scripting languages such as PowerShell or Perl
9. Experience in higher education administrative systems
10. Experience working with hosted or vendor managed cloud based applications
11. Vendor Certifications like MCP, MCSA, MCSE, Oracle, RedHat
12. Knowledge of web and object oriented programming languages useful: HTML, XML/XSL, CSS, PHP, JAVA
13. An interest in learning new tools and methods
Illinois State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to diversity. Females, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.