Senior Facilities Director-18001202
Senior Facilities Director-18001202
Tufts University is recognized as a premier university in the United States, with a total student body of over 10,500 graduate and undergraduate students including 1,300 international students and over 1,500 faculty and scholars. Tufts University possesses a global reputation for academic excellence and preparedness of students as leaders in a wide range of disciplines.
The Department of Facilities Services is responsible for the efficient and cost-effective operations, maintenance and management of all university facilities consisting of approximately 5.5 million square feet of space on four vibrant and diverse campuses: the main undergraduate campus in Somerville/Medford, MA, the renowned Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine located in Grafton, MA, and the urban Health Sciences campus and School of the Museum of Fine Arts both located in Boston, MA. The Department’s responsibilities include maintenance by all trades, campus engineering, energy and utilities systems, custodial services, recycling and waste management, event coordination, residential facilities coordination, and grounds maintenance.
The effective operation of Facilities Services requires close coordination with the Division’s Department of Public and Environmental Safety, Campus Planning and Capital Renewal, Capital Program Management, the Operations Center, the Office of Sustainability, and Tufts Technology Services.
The Senior Facilities Director oversees the maintenance and operations of university facilities across all four campuses continuously and effectively building and leading a team of campus directors and a staff of approximately 130 union and non-union employees. He/She is the principal representative for collective bargaining negotiations for the unionized facilities workforce. The Senior Director is responsible for organizational change and continuous improvement, working closely and collaboratively with Operations leadership to: identify management changes needed, support systems development, develop and employ metrics and management tools and communicate to inspire and empower the work force.
The Senior Facilities Director oversees the operational implications of planning, design, construction and commissioning of university facilities ensuring that operating, maintenance and engineering standards are continually updated and applied in accordance with appropriate industry guidelines throughout all stages of the asset lifecycle. The Senior Director provides leadership in key strategic areas including the university’s asset-based management (Transformation) program and the implementation of university sustainability goals.
The Senior Facilities Director oversees management of annual campus operating budgets totaling approximately $60 million including substantive outsourced contracts for custodial, waste management and building automation systems. He/She is also a key participant in the planning for the university’s $40M/year deferred maintenance investment.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, business, facilities management or related field with a minimum of 15 years in facilities based operations management.
- Proficiency with computerized maintenance management and building management systems and features.
- Strong working knowledge of budget and financial management systems, database driven systems and reporting tools and office productivity tools such as Microsoft Office.
- User level of familiarity energy management systems, work controls systems.
- Strong verbal and written communication, analytical and presentation skills.
- Must be a detail-oriented, self-motivated, strategic thinker with broad knowledge of general business practices and technology pertinent to the position.
- Must possess a thorough knowledge of and demonstrated experience in the application of best practices pertaining to facilities planning, operation and maintenance; building and utility systems, energy conservation and personnel management in higher education or an institutional environment.
- Must have proven effectiveness as a team builder, a leader and a collaborator.
- Must successfully complete all appropriate background checks as required.
- Strong working knowledge of Maximo.
- Professional Engineering certification.
- Energy management.
- Power plant and/or cogeneration energy plant management.
- Advanced degree in engineering, architecture, facilities/construction management or related field is a plus.
- Multi-lingual capacity is desirable.
Special Work Schedule Requirements:
The Senior Facilities Director coordinates departmental preparedness and response to emergency situations on all campuses as required. This individual must be available outside typical business hours.
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.
Equal Opportunity Employer – minority/females/veterans/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity.
Primary Location: United States-Massachusetts-Medford/Somerville
Organization: Office of VP Operations
Employee Status: Regular
Job Posting: Jun 1, 2018, 12:41:35 PM