Proposal Development Specialist - Office of Research Administration
Job no: 494302
Position Type: Staff Full Time
Benefit Status: Benefited-Union
Campus: UMass Lowell
Department: Office Research Administration
Salary: Salary commensurate with experience
Applications Open: Jun 14 2018
Applications Close: Open until filled
General Summary of Position:
The Office of Research Administration (ORA) provides assistance to faculty and research staff in all aspects of applying for, accepting, and managing external research funding. The Proposal Development Specialist position assists researchers with the development, review, and submission of proposals for research funding in accordance with sponsor and university guidelines. This position and office works closely with the Vice Chancellor for Research and Innovation's offices, as well as other administrative units across the campus and throughout the University system to provide efficient and effective research administration support services to the UMass Lowell research community.
Essential Job Duties:
1. Proposal preparation and submission:
- Prepare and review required sponsor forms and other proposal elements to ensure a complete, compliant, and cohesive package
- Submit Principal Investigator's (PI's) grants to various sponsors within the federal, state and municipal governments as well as to private industry and foundations
- Research and document new and emerging technologies required for the electronic submission of proposals
2. Guideline review and interpretation:
- Research and document evolving guidelines and information for the successful submission of proposals
- Review and interpret all guidelines informing the PIs regarding what is required for submission
3. Data Entry:
- Maintain internal databases (PeopleSoft, logs, etc.) to ensure accurate reporting of funded research activity
4. Sponsor Database Maintenance:
- Enter data into sponsor database for billing
- Send requests to Office of Institutional Compliance to have sponsors vetted to determine eligibility
- Initiate paperwork for addition of sponsors to system database
5. Promote the University's commitment to customer service by:
- Build effective partnerships with co-workers throughout the University by freely sharing appropriate information and providing assistance when needed
- Ensuring optimum service to all internal and external partners in response to all requests for service and information
- Maintaining an environment that is welcoming to persons of all backgrounds, nationalities, and roles
6. Perform other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Bachelor's degree and three to five (3-5) years of directly related experience preparing and submitting proposals to federal and nonfederal sponsors for research funding
**Will consider applicants with a high school diploma or GED/equivalent and seven to ten (7-10) years directly related experience
- Given the nature and responsibilities of the position, only U.S. persons (any individual who is a citizen of the United States, a permanent resident alien of the United States, or a protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C.1324b(a)(3)) will be considered for this position.
- Higher education experience preferred
- Strong ability to multi-task and handle stress of continuous deadlines
- Ability to interpret complex guidelines
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of personnel both within and outside of the University
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only Internal Professional (SEIU 888 Professional Union) Bargaining candidates will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required during the application process.
The University of Massachusetts Lowell is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action, Title IX employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.