Facilities Services provide services for campus grounds for hard and soft scape and to perform related grounds services.
Under minimal supervision from Grounds Supervisor, the Grounds Keeper performs a variety of sometimes strenuous physical tasks dedicated to the daily care and maintenance of hard and soft scape of grounds, lawns, shrubs, trees, and plants using appropriate methods and techniques. Responsible for operating and maintaining in a safe, knowledgeable and confident manner all related tools, equipment and vehicles to include and not limited to hand and riding mowers, seeders, rototillers, aerators, lawn sprinklers, etc. Instructs Utility workers in the safe and confident use of tools, equipment, and vehicles as necessary and proper and appropriate methods and techniques to provide basic soft and hard scape grounds services. In winter, responsible for plowing and removing snow and ice from sidewalks, patios, athletic fields, and some drives using hand tools, skid steers, truck mounted snow plows, snow blowers, Bobcat and small and large vehicles. Responsible for removal and disposal of dirt, debris, yard waste and rubbish from campus lawns and lots. Responsible for leading work groups up to 5 employees assigned to specific projects.
Seeds, weeds, irrigates, aerates, fertilizes, sods, grades, and mows campus grounds using requisite tools, equipment, and vehicles.
Operates, maintains, and, when necessary, directs the use of all related tools, equipment and vehicles employed in grounds care and maintenance operations.
Operates hydraulic sprayer as necessary for fertilization and irrigation.
Collects and removes debris and litter from campus grounds and lots.
Removes snow and ice from sidewalks, patios, and other designated areas using requisite tools, equipment, and vehicles.
Drives pick-up truck and pedestrian vehicles to get to and from assigned areas on campus.
Winterize irrigation systems.
- Working knowledge and experience in state of the art grounds keeping methods and techniques, such as fertilization, aeration, irrigation, weeding, seeding, mowing, and sodding.
- High level knowledge of and demonstrated mastery in operating and providing upkeep maintenance for heavy equipment and vehicles such as tractors, loaders, mowing machinery, rototillers, hydraulic sprayers, aerators, lawn sweepers, and tractor-mounted snow removal equipment. Tractor mounted attachments including but not limited to: Snow blowers, York broom, Rake-O-Vac, Verti Drain, Verti Cutter, Aera Vator, Top Dressers, Slicer Seeders and Fertilizers Spreaders.
- High level knowledge of and ability to use a variety of hand tools such as shovels, rakes, lawn rollers, saws, pruners, hoses, trowels, tamps, hammers, pliers, and spading forks, etc.
- Ability to direct the work of and provide hands-on leadership for small work parties of Grounds Workers assigned to specific projects.
- Ability to perform strenuous physical activities in all kinds of weather.
- Willingness to work overtime as required.
- Must possess a valid MA pesticide applicators license and a 2B hoisting license.
- Valid MA driver’s license.
- High School graduate with a minimum of 3 continuous years of relevant experience.
- 2 years of University/College hands-on working grounds experience strongly preferred.
- 2 years of natural and synthetic athletic field experience strongly preferred.
Tuesday – Saturday, 7:30am – 4:00pm.
Work requires bending, kneeling, climbing and working in cramped or awkward positions.
Work involves regular lifting, carrying and holding objects weighing up to 60 pounds.
Work is performed: indoors, outdoors, in bad weather and in areas that are noisy, dirty or smoky.
Work involves exposure to hazards from electric shock, burns, cuts and chemical fumes.
Work involves wearing special or protective clothing such as: aprons or overalls, gloves, goggles or masks, and hearing protection.
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.
Equal Opportunity Employer – minority/females/veterans/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity.
Primary Location: United States-Massachusetts-Medford/Somerville
Organization: Facilities Services - Medford
Employee Status: Regular
Job Posting: Mar 2, 2018, 4:01:39 PM