The Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies (CIMAS) of the University of Miami invites applications for a Software Engineer position in the area of Computer Science/Engineering, System Engineering, and Applied Mathematics/Physics concentrating on parallel computing. Related fields with similar expertise will be considered as well.
The incumbent is expected to design, develop, support, and maintain the state-of-the-art numerical weather Observing System Simulation Experiment (OSSE) software systems, with focus on the simulation of conventional and satellite observations, custom data analysis applications, databases, and analysis systems projects. The incumbent will be required to develop and integrate systems for applications on various components of the state-of-the-art OSSE systems, primarily the simulation of conventional and satellite observations for global and regional OSSEs, develop infrastructure based on very existing software protocols as determined and create or replace applications utilized in the OSSE system configuration. The incumbent will also assist and support other scientists in the group and other collaborators with the development of techniques for optimizing the performance of the data impact experiments, including possible use of cloud-based platforms. Other activities may include assisting in research investigations on visualization and website development.
Essential Position Functions:
• Determine operational feasibility by evaluating problem definitions and requirements.
• Develop clearly written code and include code documents.
• Produce supporting documentation, such as diagrams, charts, etc.
• Create and execute test plans to ensure quality.
• Adhere to industry and institutional standard operating procedures.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
• Required advanced proficiency in programming languages: FORTRAN, C/C++, and Python.
• Experience with shell scripting and code debugging tools.
• Familiar with High-Performance Computing Linux-type operational system and parallel programming.
• Ability to work well with others in a team environment.
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
• Excellent learning abilities on new knowledge and skills.
• Bachelor of Science/Engineering or higher degree in Computer Science/Engineering, System Engineering, and Applied Mathematics/Physics concentrating on high performance computing or related fields.
• Minimum of three years’ experience in the related field.
• We encourage motivated individuals with strong background in parallel computing, numerical modeling, and parallel software to apply.
• Strong experience in FORTRAN and/or C/C++ programming is essential.
• Scripting language such as Python or shell scripting is required.
• Some skills in analyzing/evaluating large code are highly desirable.
• Experience in parallel computing and atmospheric science are big plus points.
Cover letter indicating your employment qualification in US, Curriculum Vitae, Statement of previous accomplishments, and contact information for three people who can provide letters of recommendation are required.
Apply online at: www.miami.edu/careers
Position #: P100039730
The University of Miami is home to some of the brightest minds in the world. We are committed to educating and nurturing students, creating knowledge, and providing service to our community and beyond. The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental benefits, tuition remission, vacation, paid holidays and much more. The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Come join us!]]>