General Manager- Redwood City Campus
General Manager- Redwood City Campus
Job Number: 79020
ABOUT STANFORD UNIVERSITY AND RESIDENTIAL & DINING ENTERPRISES:
Stanford University, located between San Francisco and San Jose in the heart of California's Silicon Valley, is one of the world's leading teaching and research universities. Since its opening in 1891, Stanford has been dedicated to finding solutions to big challenges and to preparing students for leadership in a complex world.
Residential & Dining Enterprises (R&DE), the largest auxiliary organization at Stanford University, supports the academic mission of the University by providing the highest quality services to students and other members of the university community in a sustainable and fiscally responsible manner. R&DE comprises 11000+ staff in the following divisions: Office of the Senior Associate Vice Provost (SAVP Office), Student Housing Operations, Stanford Dining, Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries, Stanford Conferences, and a team of four R&DE strategic business partners: Finance & Administration including Information Technology, Human Resources, Strategic Communications, and Maintenance Operations & Capital Planning. R&DE houses 13,000+ students and their dependents while serving over 6.5 million meals annually to students, conference, catering, retail, and concession guests.
ABOUT STANFORD HOSPITALITY & AUXILIARIES:
Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries, a division within R&DE at Stanford University is committed to excellence and the highest level of customer service. It is recognized nationally for operating at “the cutting edge” of the industry receiving exceptional service ratings and numerous awards, including the Restaurant & Institutions Magazine Ivy Award for excellence in food service and hospitality. The Ivy Award is one of the industry's most prestigious and coveted awards, give to those operations that meet the highest standards of food, hospitality and service. With R&DE's vision “to be the best in the business” Stanford Hospitality and Auxiliaries is a Certified Green Business practicing sustainability in its purchasing and using equipment and processes that reduce solid waste and preserve natural resources. The highest Acterra Sustainability Award was received in 2006, in recognition of these initiatives.
Provide hands-on oversight during transaction periods of assigned units in larger and more complex operations to uphold customer service and food quality standards. Will typically be the leader for a standalone unit with more than $750,000 in revenue targets and 5 to 15 FTE. May also be part of the overall leadership team responsible for a large or multiple units with more than $750,000 in revenue targets and a combined size of 15 or more FTE.
- Develop sales/marketing initiatives and nutritional programs
- Hire, train, and develop culinary team and conduct performance appraisals (mid-year and year-end)
- Develop training program/recruitment efforts
- Develop catering program in conjunction with retail operation
- Perform general management duties of the Food Service Manager 1, with a focus on controlling revenue and expenses, and provide strategic input into short and long term goals and talent decisions.
- Uphold customer service standards, and ensure client expectations are met by receiving and resolving customer inquiries, concerns, and/or complaints; perform daily interactive customer discussions.
- Contribute to business optimization by compiling and analyzing data and reports to guide daily operational decisions, ensuring budgetary goals are met, monitoring and meeting the revenue and expenses control goals, establishing and managing annual operational budget, and balancing customer service with labor, cost, and food quality goals (activities include, but are not limited to, the scheduling of labor to meet or exceed budgetary guidelines and productivity standards and the managing of food costs to meet quality and budgetary guidance).
- Optimize employee relations by participating in the processes of interviewing, hiring, training, counseling, mentoring, and evaluating all levels of staff.
- Lead local menu and marketing development by suggesting marketing and merchandizing strategies and features, overseeing strategy implementation, collaborating with staff to create innovative programs and promotions, and planning and executing special events and theme dinners.
- Lead health and safety standard compliance by conducting regular on-site food quality, merchandising, sanitation, equipment maintenance, real-time safety and food handling practices, and staff and facility appearance inspections at assigned unit.
Education & Experience:
Bachelor's degree in institutional management, nutrition, dietetics, or hotel hospitality. Five years of institutional, hotel, or restaurant food service facility management experience, including large quantity production culinary skills and experience managing unionized employees.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proven track record of successfully controlling costs and managing annual budgets exceeding one million dollars.
- Proficiency and experience with computerized culinary and menu management software, and knowledge of office and industry software applications.
- Ability to work independently and show creativity and initiative on projects with minimal supervision.
- Ability to effectively supervise and train a diverse work staff.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the research, development, and implementation of new food products.
- Strong technical skills and working knowledge of food production and food safety in a full service restaurant environment.
- Demonstrated experience with a high volume, dynamic, and complex menu cycle that meets a variety of customer tastes.
- Demonstrated experience with daily planning and daily organization.
- ServSafe CA Certification. Allergen Certified.
- Ability to exert up to 50 pounds of lifting force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
- Ability to bend, stoop, and perform extensive walking.
- Ability to see and taste food for quality.
- Ability to exert well-paced mobility to move quickly to the different areas of the facility as service and production demands require.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Work flexible and demanding hours. Frequently work long hours completing widely diverse duties. Subjected to wet floors, temperature extremes, and excessive noise.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
Location: Residential & Dining Enterprises, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.