PT Hourly Pool-Child Care Assistant
Orange Coast College
PT Hourly Pool-Child Care Assistant
Job# OCC PT Hrly Childcare Asst
Salary: Depends on Qualifications
Full job description and OFFICIAL application available ONLY at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cccd/jobs/2113309/pt-hourly-pool-child-care-assistant?keywords=child%20care&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
Assignments are short-term, temporary, and will not exceed 28 hours per week or 160 days per Fiscal Year. This is a continuous recruitment to create a POOL of applicants to be used as needed for temporary support. You will be contacted by the hiring manager should the department/division be interested in scheduling an interview. Please do not call the Office of Human Resources regarding the status of your application. (All applications will remain in the pool for one year.)
Under the general supervision of the Early Childhood Lab School Manager and/or Child Development Specialist, the Child Care Assistant assists and participates in learning activities and operations of the Early Childhood Lab School . Performs other related work as required. The Child Care Assistant will function with close supervision, and when acting independently, must function within specific guidelines.
Qualifications and Physical Demands
• Assist Child Development Specialist with daily routines of the children.
• Help with set-up and cleanup activities.
• Assists with snack set-up and cleanup.
• Assist in the hygiene care of children through diaper changes and restroom needs.
• Provide feedback to the Child Development Specialists related to student teacher evaluations.
• Assist with compiling portfolios of the children's developmental progression throughout the academic year, which requires knowledge of California Preschool Learning Foundation.
• Attend regular mandatory staff meetings.
• Other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills
• The position requires a basic knowledge of child guidance principles and practices and an understanding of the goals and objectives of a preschool aged child care program in a school district environment.
• Requires working knowledge of the needs and behavior of preschool aged children. Requires the working knowledge of child development.
• Requires working knowledge of proper sanitization and sterilization methods, as well as cleaning materials and disinfectants.
• Requires sufficient human relations skills to interact with student parents, children, and staff.
• Ability to perform the essential responsibilities and work tasks of the position.
• Ability to plan and implement activities that are in alignment with the Reggio-Emilio philosophy and emergent curriculum.
• Demonstrated ability to understand and interpret a teacher's instructions in order to assist in instruction-oriented recreation activities of children and age appropriate learning exercises. Ability to operate a personal computer, using various software programs web-based programs or applications.
• Ability to understand the needs and differences of children and to reach and engage them in play.
• Ability to demonstrate patience and understanding of children.
• Ability to communicate in a professional manner with staff, faculty, families and children.
• Requires the ability to perform indoors in an office and/or classroom environment or outdoors in a playground environment engaged in work of primarily a sedentary to a active nature.
• Requires near visual acuity to read and write printed materials and computer screens.
• Requires hearing and speech ability for ordinary and telephonic conversation, to speak to small groups, and to hear sound prompts from equipment.
• Requires the ability to move about office, classroom, and school grounds, and reach work materials.
• Requires sufficient manual and finger dexterity to demonstrate teaching aids, to point out important words/figures to students, and to operate personal computers.
• Requires the ability to lift, carry, push, and move supplies, furniture, etc., of light-to-medium weight (under 50 pounds) on an intermittent basis.
• Requires the ability to lift and carry children up to 40 pounds.
Education and Experience:
• Required to have 12 postsecondary semester units in early childhood education from an accredited college. The units specified shall include courses covering child growth development; child, family and community; and program/curriculum.
• Completion of one year working in a preschool classroom setting.
Licenses or other requirements:
• Pass a Live Scan test.
• Provide proof of immunization, ie MMR, DTap, flu.
• Obtain First Aid/CPR training.
• Negative T.B. test.
• Some positions in this classification may require a valid California driver's license.
• Continuing education, training or certification may be required.
Coast Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer