Vice President of Finance and Administration
Carthage College, a private four-year liberal arts college in Kenosha, Wisconsin—in the growing Milwaukee to Chicago light industrial-suburban corridor—is seeking a strategic and experienced leader to serve as Vice President for Finance and Administration (VPFA). Carthage, named a Best Midwestern College by Princeton Review (2018), has grown steadily in enrollment and financial strength in each of the past 25 years. More than 8,000 high school students applied for the 740 openings in the Fall 2018 freshman class. More than 50 percent of the entering students are in the top 25 percent of their high school classes, and more than 25 percent come from diverse populations. Carthage has had operating surpluses for more than 30 years. The annual operating budget is $141 million, with $322.7 million in total assets, an endowment of just under $120 million, a more than 80-acre campus on the shores of Lake Michigan and debt of $55.3 million.
Reporting to the President, the VPFA serves as an officer of the College, and will be a strategic partner to the president and provost, supporting all members of the executive staff in planning of their operations. Reporting to the VPFA are the business office, auxiliaries, facilities, technology and the library. In addition, this position serves as administrative liaison for relevant committees of the Board of Trustees.
Candidates should demonstrate the skills and capacities to lead across constituencies in a not-for-profit organization, along with the highest level of integrity, a passionate desire to lead, a commitment to continuous improvement, and a collaborative style of leadership. In addition, it is expected that the new VPFA will evidence the following attributes of leadership:
- An appreciation for and understanding of the mission of Carthage College as a private liberal arts college, a place where program excellence, the work of faculty and staff, and student learning provide context and inform financial decisions and priorities.
- An in-depth knowledge of finance and operations, including budgeting, accounting, investment management, debt financing, financial systems and standards, construction and facilities management, and auxiliary enterprises.
- A career track record of increasing responsibility and achievement that evidences a high-energy, creative, and entrepreneurial approach to leadership.
- Demonstrated experience and success as a big picture financial planner who works comfortably with a balanced focus on executive-level strategy and decision-making as well as operational details and performance.
- A collaborative and team-oriented leadership style that supports effective work with colleagues and engages people across the units and offices that report to the VPFA, as well as the broader campus community.
- A highly skilled communicator who works effectively with others in a wide-variety of settings, is able to address and explain financial issues clearly, and is both comfortable and effective in representing the College.
- An outstanding leader and manager with at least 10 years of senior management experience, who, when working with others, is abe to articulate vision, develop clear plans, establish high expectations, delegate responsibility, make decisions, and share success.
- An understanding of the higher education landscape and its systems of shared governance.
- A commitment to the highest levels of honesty and integrity, and a management style that emphasizes transparency in daily activities and in financial planning and reporting.
- A track record of success in working with those external to the campus, including advisors and expert resources, members of the Board of Trustees, and those in professional organizations.
- A public person who enjoys others and who will actively engage in the daily life and activities of the campus and the surrounding community.
The successful candidate for this position will be a seasoned business and financial professional and a leader with significant experience and demonstrated success in developing and implementing strategy, exercising financial and administrative oversight, and partnering with a range of people in an organization. While the Search Committee is open to considering a variety of pathways to the VPFA position, a bachelor’s degree is required and a CPA and/or master’s degree is preferred. Additional information about the position can be found in the prospectus at https://www.carthage.edu/live/files/3995-vpfa-position-profile-2018 and additional information about the College may be found at http://www.carthage.edu.
Applications (including a cover letter and resume) should be uploaded to: http://lapovsky.hiringthing.com. Nominations, confidential inquiries and questions concerning this search may be directed to Lucie Lapovsky at firstname.lastname@example.org or 917-690-1958. Review of applications will begin immediately and candidate material received by July 22nd will be assured full consideration although recruitment will continue until an appointment is announced. Carthage College is being assisted by Lapovsky Consulting in this search.
It is the policy of Carthage College to provide equal opportunities and reasonable accommodations to all persons regardless of race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or other legally protected status in accordance with applicable federal and state laws