RESIDENT DIRECTOR Immediate opening for a live-on Campus position with a diverse, multi-cultural residential program. Prior Community College experience a plus. Outstanding benefits including modern, rent-free apartment, generous meal allowance, all-employer paid premiums for comprehensive health and dental insurance, pension contributions and more! This is a full-time, year round position—must be able to work some evenings and weekend hours. Salary $30k. Please send cover letter and resume to [email protected]. For more information visit www.fmcc.edu.
Fulton-Montgomery Community College is a part of the State University of New York system and is located on 195 acres in a historic center of New York State, approximately 40 miles west of the state capital, Albany. FMCC is a comprehensive, two-year college serving over 2,400 full- and part-time students, including approximately 100 international students from 25 countries and the New York City Metro Area. FMCC offers over 40 Degree and Certificate Programs.
Position Title: Resident Director
Department: Residence Life
Reports To: Director of Residence Life
- Associates Degree required; Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- One or more years of experience as a staff member in a Residence Life department.
- Demonstrated experience building community and developing programs in a residence life setting.
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, organizational, administrative, verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work successfully with diverse populations of students, colleagues, and external constituencies.
- Experience that demonstrates sensitivity and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, ethnic, and disabled backgrounds of community college students.
- Ability to exercise superior judgement and discretion with confidential information.
- Experience and skills related to supervision and responding to crisis situations.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends with a focus on availability during those times.
- Must have a friendly, courteous, and professional demeanor and provide a high standard of customer service with enthusiasm and energy.
- Must be able to accept direction, prioritize, and maintain a detail oriented and organized approach to work.
- Must maintain a valid New York State driver’s license and driving record acceptable to FCA standards. (continued on next page)
SUMMARY OF MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Resident Director will report to and accept direction from the Director of Residence Life. The primary goal of this position is to assist in the development of the Residence Life program at FMCC and to support the establishment of a residential environment that is conducive to academic and psychosocial development of students. The Resident Director will assist the Director in providing oversight for the selection, training, and supervision of student Resident Assistants and Office/Mail Room Assistants. This is a live-in position with evening and weekend on-call employment responsibilities. Ability to work collaboratively with Facilities and Public Safety staff is essential to success in this position.
- Assists the Director of Residence Life with coordination of the selection, initial and ongoing training, supervision, and evaluation of student Resident Assistants and Office/Mail Room Assistants.
- Actively works to create and maintain an inclusive and supportive community environment that contributes to students’ personal and academic success by ensuring that Resident Assistants develop personal one-on-one relationships with residents.
- Provides initial guidance, crisis/conflict management and mediation assistance for students; refers residents to and consults with appropriate resource persons in a timely manner.
- Maintains a continual awareness of issues within the residential community. Keeps Director informed regarding such issues and works collaboratively with them to resolve issues and concerns.
- Conducts room inspections on a weekly basis in collaboration with Public Safety staff and keeps records of all inspections.
- Serves as co-advisor to the Residence Life Club and partners with Student Activities to implement evening activities and other student events.
- Works with Residential Student Engagement Assistant, and Resident Assistants to assess student needs and interests and assist with the implementation of student development and recreational programs.
- Assists with all opening/move-in and closing/move-out operations.
- Assists with planning and implementation of residential student orientation.
- Participates with departmental and interdepartmental committees and projects.
- Participates in evening and weekend on-call duty rotation.
- Assists with the development and implementation of summer programs, conferences, and/or camps in the residence halls.
- Interprets, implements and enforces the Student Code of Conduct and all policies outlined in the Campus View Student Housing Handbook.
- Seeks to resolve all basic student concerns or complaints and refers more significant matters to the Director of Residence Life.
- Reports maintenance or public safety issues in a timely fashion to appropriate personnel.
- Transports residents to community activities using College vehicles.
- Will attend staff meetings with other Residence Life or campus personnel as requested.
- Performs other duties as assigned.