VP - Office of Academic Affairs
The VP - Office of Academic Affairs (VP OAA) is the Chief Academic Officer of the institution and reports to the President of the College. This person is responsible for the development, presentation, evaluation and modification of the curriculum of the College as well as of the faculty of the College for both in class and online curricular requirements. The VP OAA coordinates and interacts with the various heads of student success and student services to facilitate the instructional needs of the faculty and the student body. The VP OAA also interfaces with the heads of the Health Center with the other executive leadership of the College being the first among equals in this relationship. The VP OAA is responsible for assuring compliance with all matters of accreditation, state authorization and approval by any and all licensing entities related to the chiropractic profession and that of higher education.
The VP OAA is the Chair of the Academic Planning Group (APG), an ex-officio member of all College committees and is the appeal point for all formal actions of the Student Judiciary Committee.
The VP OAA meets regularly with the President, the department chairs and other senior administrators and leaders of the College. The VP OAA, in cooperation with the Chief Financial Officer, is responsible for the development of the education and general expenditures portion of the College’s budget.
The VP OAA supervises the support staff related to the VP OAA’s Office as well as the support staff related faculty offices and instructional support personnel.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Maintain congruency between the College's board-approved mission statement and all academic activities including the student success initiatives (Housing, Work Study program, Student Life etc.) and student services operations (Registrar, Financial Aid etc.).
- Advise/Counsel/Oversee any and all matters concerning the admission process for the testing, interviewing, and evaluating of applicants for enrollment.
- Oversee Admissions and Enrollment department, Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching Technology department (CELTT) and the role of the Director of Assessment and Educational Effectiveness (DAEE)
- Be a thought leader and an active implementer for developing and leading efforts towards building Master’s and PhD online programs for the College.
- Act as the academic leader of the College, responsible for its day-to-day operation: scheduling of students, overseeing of the academic advising and college counseling programs; monitoring student academic progress; convoking "swat" teams to address student academic emergencies; coordinating the efforts of department heads and the academic affairs committee, etc.
- Manage day to day conflicts in a professional and proficient manner.
- Observe, supervise, and help evaluate the faculty in the development and implementation of curriculum; to supervise the teaching process, and to review and evaluate the academic programs.
- Oversee and direct the activities of the department chairs, the sponsors of various student organizations and activities, and faculty committees.
- Ensure compliance with legal requirements of government regulations and agencies; to maintain the educational standards established by those agencies that examine and accredit the College.
- Make recommendations to the President regarding the hiring and retention, and the assignment of faculty.
- Establish programs for the orientation of new faculty, for in-service training of all faculty, and for the evaluation of classroom faculty, to ensure that instructors are familiar with and adhere to College policies in all areas of the College operation.
- Conduct regular meetings with faculty and with department chairs, which will deal both with routine College matters and with the stimulating exchange of ideas on issues of educational/philosophical interest and concern.
- Oversee the coordination of the co-curricular and extra-curricular activity programs of the College; to assist in the planning and the presentation of College assemblies and programs; to assist in maintaining a comprehensive calendar of College events; to keep the entire College community informed of various College programs and activities.
- Provide for the academic guidance of students; to maintain complete academic records on all students; to oversee the grading and the reporting of standards and methods used by instructors/faculty in measuring student achievement.
- Prepare a master College class schedule and to assign faculty and students to classes and other obligations.
- Serve as a consultant to faculty in matters of classroom management, teaching methods, and general College procedures;
- Support the College and its leadership.
- Other duties as assigned by the President.
Approximate percentages for the job responsibilities:
- Resolution of student problems, advising students 25%
- Supervision of various areas of operation 50%
(academic affairs, enrollment, student services and student success initiatives)
- Supervise current faculty, hiring new faculty 10%
- Participate in development of new policies, procedures, plans 10%
- Administration of office staff 5%
Education, Training and/or Experience
- Doctorate preferred if not then Master’s Degree required,
- 10+ years’ experience working in adult higher education programs.
- 10+ years of experience working in complex organizational environments, preferably higher education.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience influencing and working closely with executive level leaders.
- Experience in teaching preferred.
- Compliance minded - proven compliance related experience.
- Experience in academic advising and counseling of adult students on curricular and degree completion requirements.
- Ability to demonstrate leadership abilities and administrative accomplishments in positions of increasing responsibility.
- Ability to work with faculty, staff, students, and College-wide constituencies.
- Ability to take initiative on projects, follows through on details, and balances various tasks simultaneously.
- Knowledge of computer technology and instruction learning systems, procedures and policies.
- Proven track record of developing effective partnerships across disparate groups to organize and facilitate decisions and ensure implementation.
- Experience with government relations and external relations especially accreditation entities such as WASC, CCE etc.
- Experience balancing strategic leadership with detailed involvement in support of accountabilities.
- Exceptional written, presentation and verbal communication skills that can be applied across levels.
- Excellent demonstrated judgment and diplomacy in working with diverse groups to address complex issues.
- Highly regarded people management skills.
- Unquestioned integrity.
- Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Personal Characteristics
- Successful candidate will have experience making independent judgments;
- Ability to coordinate office detail in conjunction with policy; proven experience handling highly confidential and sensitive materials and situations.
- Ability to master a wide range of relationships, tasks, and perspectives required; increasing responsibility working with higher education executives at an academic institution is preferred.
- Must have exceptional organizational and analytical skill; demonstrate strong problem-solving skills; be competent in a variety of Windows-based computer programs including MS Word and Excel.
- Must be able to work independently, prioritize work, and independently manage multiple and competing priorities while meeting deadlines.
- Nature of work requires an ability to operate standard business office equipment.
- Requires ability to communicate and exchange information, collect, compile and prepare work documents, set-up and maintain work files.
- Must be able to lift 25 lbs., retrieving and placing materials on high shelves and on floor-level shelves; standing, walking, carrying, grasping, hearing, seeing, sitting, kneeling, climbing, balancing, stooping, crouching, and reaching.
Apply for VP - Office of Academic Affairs
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly