Department: Residential Life
Location: Columbia, MO
Type: Staff, Full-time
The Residential Life Area Coordinator performs administrative and managerial duties for Residential Life; trains, supervises and advises para-professional staff to include Resident Assistants, Head Residents and work study students; provides assistance to students within the residence halls; develops a well-balanced program of activities and events that promote a living-learning environment; performs special assignments as needed by the Director of Residential Life and/or Dean for Student Affairs; and serves as a participating member of the Residential Life and Student Affairs staff teams. The Area Coordinator is also responsible for coordinating Living Learning Communities and serving other collaterals as assigned by the Director of Residential Life. The Area Coordinator lives on campus in college provided apartment.
- Promotes the safety and security of residents, specifically by enforcing college policies and educating around these topics.
- Responds to emergency situations by implementing appropriate procedures and follows up to ensure student is receiving adequate support; serves as a member of the on-call rotation
- Assesses student needs and assists student leaders, Resident Assistants, and Student Affairs staff in identifying creative ways of meeting those needs.
- Recruits, selects, trains and evaluates Resident Assistants within assigned living area; plans and provides for the continual training and staff development of Resident Assistants specifically through Fall and Spring Training and co-teach an RA skills class.
- Works closely with the RAs in the development of programs and activities that promote a living-learning environment in the halls.
- Creates an environment in which students are encouraged to be engaged in the college community.
- Handles conduct matters in an appropriate manner, including processing all necessary paperwork, determining appropriate sanction, and counseling students to accept responsibility for their actions.
- Works with Director of Residential Life in attending to administrative details, i.e., maintenance of hall records, hall closings and openings, etc.
- Co-advise Residence Hall Association with hall associated projects and personal development of members.
- A bachelor’s degree in psychology, education, management, or a related field.
- Relevant experience in housing and residential life programs
- A master’s degree in College Student Personnel or a related area and prior experience in housing and residential life programs, experience with Living Learning Communities, and supervisory experience are preferred.
This job description is not meant to be all-inclusive of every duty and responsibility required by the employee in the position.
Benefits include free dependent in-seat undergraduate tuition and/or 75% tuition reduction for online classes, Tuition Exchange program for eligible dependents with dozens of partner institutions, an 8% retirement account contribution, generous paid leave, excellent health and dental insurance coverage, and outstanding, dedicated colleagues.
The offer of employment and assignment to duties is contingent upon a satisfactory criminal background check. The information may include, but is not limited to, academic, residential, achievement, performance, attendance, disciplinary, employment history, credit history, driving history, and criminal history of public record.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Columbia College is an equal opportunity employer.