Manager of Chinese Language Programs
The Confucius Institute Assistant Director of Chinese Program will report directly to the Executive Director of the Confucius Institute at Kennesaw State University. Responsibilities include developing and managing Chinese language programs; leading research projects in development of Chinese language curriculum companion, and teaching materials; conducting research on Chinese dual immersion education, providing training for local teachers and CIKSUs research assistants; and interfacing with relevant departments at KSU, the Chinese Language Council International, Yangzhou University as well as public schools/districts, businesses and organizations through Georgia.
Chinese Language Program Management and Coordination
- Providing professional assistance and supporting services to Chinese teachers/research assistants;
- Managing the Chinese language programs of Confucius Institute, KSU
- Communicating between Chinese teachers/research assistants and school administrators;
- Visiting schools from time to time to evaluate Chinese teachers performances;
- Establishing a recruiting, testing, and interviewing program for Chinese teachers/research assistants;
- Preparing new Chinese teachers/ research assistants for assignments by establishing and conducting orientation and training programs.
Research on Chinese Language Education
- Playing a leading role in CI research projects.
- Coordinating K-12 and some community engagement activities;
- Coordinating other CI programs, cultural events, and special projects.
As part of the background check process, this position WILL require a satisfactory MVR (Motor Vehicle Report) as a condition of employment. See http://www.usg.edu/hr/manual/motor_vehicle_use for policy guidelines.
Kennesaw State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and/or veteran status.
Required Qualifications: Bachelor's degree and 3+ years experience (may require some specialized skill sets/training)
Doctor Degree, PhD in Foreign Language Education, Chinese Language and Literature or proper
professional academic preparation obtained from a well-designed teacher preparation program with courses in Second Language
Acquisition and/or Foreign Language Instruction in Mandarin; Two years professional experience in Chinese language teaching
-Strong written and verbal communication skills (both in English and Chinese). Good interpretation skills.
-Experience working with diverse backgrounds and cultures.
-Native or near-native fluency in English and in Chinese.