SENIOR PROJECT DIRECTOR
Duties: This position will play a central leadership and supervisory role on the Positive Soldier Health project - exploring on a large scale the influence of psychological and physical health assets on illness, health care utilization and health care expenditure. The project works with a massive Army database that presents many data analysis and publication opportunities, including hundreds of psychological, health, and performance variables on over one million Army soldiers. This position will lead and direct a team of data analysts at an Army data facility in Monterey, California, working closely with the project's Primary Investigator, project senior scientists, Army leadership, and other research collaborators. The worksite is an Army data center in Monterey, California.
This position has the following responsibilities for this project:
* Oversee and manage the operational aspects of an ongoing military-civilian project, including managing project milestones and deliverables, and problem solving as needed to meet project productivity and quality goals and objectives; prepare status reports.
* Recruit, hire, train, and supervise the team of project data analysts, and do performance appraisals.
* Serve as the primary liaison among the on-site team of analysts, Primary Investigator, project senior scientists, off-site research collaborators, and leadership of the on-site Army Research Facilitation Laboratory.
* Carefully follow all policies and procedures required for working within the Person-Event Data Environment (PDE), a virtual data repository in which all analytic work on this project is conducted; develop expert knowledge of the Army databases currently available to support the data analysts and senior scientists on this project, including administration practices, scoring, and any historical changes; identify and acquire additional relevant Army data; ensure analysts work within established rules set by the Army Analytics Group (AAG) and the Army's Chief Information Officer (CIO); and ensure compliance with IRB policies and research ethics.
* Operationalize research questions into actionable lines of data analysis; refine research questions based on data availability constraints; offer guidance on sample gating decisions; and oversee all statistical analyses, along with the interpretation and presentation of statistical output, and communication of findings to project members.
* Develop modeling standards and assist with modeling specific constructs; ensure consistency in naming conventions; and promote the sharing and reuse of relevant data and syntax across senior scientist projects.
* Serve as a technical writer and editor on peer review manuscripts; finalize and circulate drafts for author reviews; track manuscripts through the security and scientific review processes; and lead revision efforts, as needed.
Qualifications: * Master's or Doctoral degree in psychology or a related field required, with expertise in mental and physical health, and experience modeling health and well-being outcomes
* At least 3 to 5 years of statistical analysis work experience required, including sophisticated techniques such as structural equation modeling and longitudinal data analysis
* Previous experience with large-scale and/or population-level data sets required, and proficiency using SAS
* Very strong organizational and communication skills required, including experience creating and delivering briefings to both technical and non-technical audiences
* Strong MS Office Skillset required: Word, Excel, PowerPoint
* Willing to travel to support the grant's research teams at several satellite locations around the United States, if needed.
* Able to work in a fast-paced work environment and meet deadlines.
* This position is located in Monterey, CA.
* Experience with relational database software (Oracle SQL) or additional modeling software (Mplus, R, Stata) preferred.
* Experience working in and/or with the U.S. Department of Defense preferred.
* Familiarity with Army processes and data systems preferred.
Reference Number: 02-29083
Salary Grade: 028
Employment Type: Exempt
Org: Positive Psychology Center
Special Requirements: Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
Job Family: I-Technical/Professional Research