Visiting Instructional Support Specialist - NetMath, Department of Mathematics ( A1800378 )
Visiting Instructional Support Specialist
College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Department of Mathematics - NetMath Program
University of Illinois and Urbana-Champaign
The Department of Mathematics seeks applicants for the position of Visiting Instructional Support Specialist in the NetMath Program. This position is responsible for supporting instruction in NetMath by training TAs, Academic Hourlies, and prospective Partner High School teachers. Includes managing activities and workload of TAs and academic hourlies; overseeing maintenance and development of instructional resources; monitoring activities and expansion in the Partner High School program; and acting as a resource for all instructional activities in NetMath. Provide support for the overall operation and development of NetMath. Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Train new instructional hires, including TAs and academic hourlies, in the use and philosophy behind NetMath pedagogical materials.
- Manage duties and workload of TAs and Academic Hourlies involved in NetMath instruction.
- Train prospective Partner High School (PHS) teachers by guiding them through NetMath courses with emphasis on NetMath pedagogy. Upon successful completion of training, approve teachers to mentor NetMath courses in high schools. Monitor teacher performance and provide support to teachers while course is in progress at each PHS.
- Act as a resource for TAs, academic hourlies and Partner High School teachers in their ongoing professional development [Answering math questions; demonstrating new features & applications in Mathematica and in other learning management systems; promoting communication and networking between partner high school teachers and among TAs by overseeing Piazza discussion forums].
- Oversee and participate in the development of instructional resources for NetMath courses, including test banks, creation of test questions, exams, and their solutions.
- Collaborate with NetMath associate directors in recruitment efforts for students as well as new partnerships to participate in the NetMath Partner High School program. Specific duties include attending recruitment events, conducting site visits at schools, participating in conferences with high school teachers & administrators.
- Organize annual workshops and meetings for current and prospective teachers and school administrators in the NetMath Partner High School program.
- Oversee the Jerry Uhl scholarships, including advertising, leading the search committee, notifying recipients and ensuring that the awards are properly processed.
- When needed, contribute to NetMath course revisions.
- When necessary, assist with grading homework assignments and exams for all Mathable-based courses in NetMath, including courses at Partner High Schools.
- Collaborate with NetMath personnel to explore new and emerging technologies and media, as well as opportunities for their adoption to support the unit's Instructional mission.
- Respond directly to student questions in NetMath courses via online forums such as Piazza.
- Master's Degree in Math, Math Education or another STEM field.
- At least 1 year of teaching experience in higher education.
- At least 1 year of experience in online education.
- Familiarity with learning management software and tools such as Moodle and Elluminate.
- Effective communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group of faculty, staff and teachers.
- Excellent time and project management.
- Ability to work productively in a team environment.
- Ability to effectively communicate with a diverse group of students at all levels.
- Ability and motivation to learn new technologies quickly and with minimal support and guidance.
- At least 2 years of teaching experience in higher education.
- At least 2 years of experience in online instruction.
- Experience using Mathematica software.
- Experience teaching with Mathematica or other computer algebra systems is highly preferred.
The Visiting Instructional Support Specialist position is a full-time, benefits eligible, visiting academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. Eligibility for the benefits are contingent on your citizenship or work authorization. For full details on eligibility requirements, please reference http://www.ahr.illinois.edu/employees/current/other.html#Benefits. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. This position may become non-visiting in the future.
To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three professional references by June 27, 2018. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Caitie Bruning, firstname.lastname@example.org, 217-244-7693.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Liberal Arts and Sciences
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Visiting Instructional Support Specialist - NetMath, Department of Mathematics ( A1800378 )
Open Date: 06/13/2018
Close Date: 06/27/2018
Organization Name: Mathematics