Patron Services Manager - Central Access Services ( A1800379 )
Patron Services Manager for Central Access Services
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Position Available: This is a 100%-time, twelve-month, Academic Professional appointment.
Duties and Responsibilities: The incumbent will perform a wide range of communication, coordination, and supervisory duties for Central Access Services in a large academic library environment. Reporting to the Head of Central Access Services, the incumbent will play a key role in providing access to the University Library's collections housed in the Main Stacks.
The Patron Services Manager for Central Access Services will:
- Provide strategic direction to five Central Access Services staff teams: Main Library Circulation Desk, Library Telephone Center, Library Billing Office, Bookstacks, and Discharging
- Develop and implement best practices and standards relating to circulation, billing, and collection maintenance functions in a large academic library while being aware of peer practices
- Represent the Library through committees with local, regional, and state partners
- Serve as CARLI Liaison and represent the Library in consortial discussions related to circulation and I-Share services
- Direct quality control to ensure consistency in patron service interactions
- Liaise with departmental libraries and other unit heads to assess and respond to needs and concerns related to circulation, billing, and bookstacks
- Configure circulation functions of the integrated library system and other related systems and software including migration to new systems
- Be on call for evening and weekend shifts to provide direction in case of an emergency or lack of coverage
- ALA-accredited master's degree in Library and/or Information Science (or equivalent)
- Three or more years of experience as a supervisor or manager in a library setting
- Demonstrated ability to prepare reports and generate documents using Microsoft Excel, Word, or similar productivity software
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work collegially and collaboratively with others in a team environment.
- Experience working at a high-volume customer service point
- Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse community of staff and patrons
- Experience assessing and improving workflows
- Demonstrated ability to work with new software and technologies
- Experience providing training or developing training-related documentation
- Knowledge of library circulation functions and processes
- Experience managing confidential customer data
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and ensure compliance with policies
- Experience working with commercial service providers.
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Library is a leader in the delivery of user services, and active programs in information, instructional, access, and scholarly services help the Library to maintain its place at the intellectual heart of the campus. The Library also holds one of the preeminent research collections in the world, encompassing more than 14 million volumes and a total of more than 23 million items. The Library is committed to maintaining the strongest collections and service programs possible, and to engaging in research, development, and scholarly practice - all of which support the University's missions of teaching, research, and public engagement.
The Library consists of more than 20 departmental libraries located across campus, as well as an array of central public, technical, and administrative service units. The Library also encompasses a variety of virtual service points and "embedded librarian" programs. Central Access Services (CAS) is responsible for the circulation and maintenance of the Main Stacks, which houses a multidisciplinary collection of approximately five million volumes. There are approximately 25 civil service employees in CAS who perform a variety of tasks such as circulation, discharging, shelving, billing, and collection maintenance. For more information, see http://www.library.illinois.edu/circ/index.html.
Campus and Community: The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is a comprehensive and major public land-grant university (Doctoral/Research University-Extensive) that is ranked among the best in the world. Chartered in 1867, it provides undergraduate and graduate education in more than 150 fields of study, conducts theoretical and applied research, and provides public service to the state and the nation. It employs 3,000 faculty members who serve 31,000 undergraduates and 12,000 graduate and professional students; approximately 25% of faculty receives campus-wide recognition each year for excellence in teaching. More information about the campus is available at www.illinois.edu. The University is located in the twin cities of Champaign and Urbana, which have a combined population of 100,000 and are situated about 140 miles south of Chicago, 120 miles west of Indianapolis, and 170 northeast of St. Louis. The University and its surrounding communities offer a cultural and recreational environment ideally suited to the work of a major research institution. For more information about the community, visit: http://illinois.edu/about/community/community.html or http://www.ccchamber.org/.
Salary and Rank: Salary commensurate with credentials and experience.
Terms of Appointment: Twelve-month appointment; 24 annual vacation days; 11 annual paid holidays; 12 annual sick-leave days (cumulative), plus an additional 13 sick-leave days (non-cumulative) available, if needed, each year; health insurance requiring a small co-payment is provided to employee (with the option to purchase coverage for spouse and dependents); required participation in State Universities Retirement System (SURS) (8% of annual salary is withheld and is refundable upon termination), with several options for participation in additional retirement plans; newly-hired employees are covered by the Medicare portion of Social Security and are subject to its deduction.
To Apply: To ensure full consideration, please complete your candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a letter of interest, resume, contact information including email addresses for three professional references. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For questions, please call: 217-333-8169.
Deadline: In order to ensure full consideration we urge candidates to submit application materials on or before July 13, 2018.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: University Library
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Patron Services Manager - Central Access Services ( A1800379 )
Open Date: 06/13/2018
Close Date: 07/13/2018
Organization Name: Access Services