Instructor - Social Worker
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Department of Medicine
Division of Infectious Diseases
Instructor - Social Worker
Position #615397 - Requisition 13892
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a comprehensive urban research university serving more than 28,000 students in metropolitan Denver and online. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado public institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer 119 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is well known for its distinctive and highly productive research programs, its world-class health facilities at the Anschutz Medical Campus and its well-established partnerships in business, industry and government. These campuses currently have over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at our Anschutz Medical Campus, a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver. Denver is one of America's most vibrant urban centers and the downtown campus, located just steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District, affords our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases currently seeks a full-time Social Worker at the Instructor level to provide social work and medical case management services for patients in the Infectious Diseases Group Practice. This is a collaborative position between the Children's Hospital Immunodeficiency Program (CHIP) and the University of Colorado HIV/AIDS Clinical Program. The position is based in the Infectious Disease Group Practice (IDGP) at the University of Colorado Hospital, but is also expected to attend and participate in youth and/or pediatric clinics at CHIP. The IDGP is a busy, fast-paced adult clinic with a large patient population experiencing financial, mental health, substance, social and health related issues. CHIP serves children, youth, pregnant women, and families infected, affected, or at-risk for HIV infection. This position primarily involves the medical case management of a caseload of women and men living with HIV. The position is grant funded by Ryan White Parts A and D. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Serve as liaison for collaboration of care services between IDGP and CHIP
- Provide clinical social work care and medical case management to a population of female and male patients who are or have recently transitioned to IDGP from CHIP; as well as women in care at the IDGP
- Assist patients with transition between providers from CHIP to IDGP
- Track and document transitioning patients in order to provide support and linkage to care between CHIP and IDGP; continue to assess needs and address any barriers to care
- Provide general social work coverage support for the IDGP
- Refer pregnant women in care at the IDGP to CHIP and assists with transitions of care
- Conduct initial and ongoing psychosocial assessments with patients to assess needs (e.g. mental health, substance use, financial, and housing)
- Advise and provide assistance to patients in obtaining social, financial, housing, insurance, and other needed services
- Support patients continued utilization, retention, and adherence to primary medical care
- Provide appropriate referrals to patients based on need, and follows-up on referrals
- Consult and follow-up with outside agencies/professionals to provide support/ recommendations for care (i.e. care conferences, transition summaries, etc.)
- Follow up appropriately with psychosocial and adherence related patient issues
- Provide education and support to women and men in the areas of HIV/AIDS, safer sex, harm reduction, and family planning
- Assesse ongoing educational needs of patients and provide education and referrals as appropriate.
- Proper documentation of all social work activities
- Document patient encounters within IDGP/CHIP databases and the electronic medical record (EPIC)
- Work as part of multidisciplinary teams at IDGP and CHIP, including care coordination activities and attending team meetings
- Participate on the IDGP/CHIP transition work group
- Attend and help facilitate CHIP-related programming as appropriate
- Participate in IDGP and CHIP quality improvement activities as appropriate
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
- MSW with LCSW or LSW licensure in Colorado or eligible for licensure within 6 months of hire
- Minimum of 2 years' experience working in medical social work
- Experience in working in HIV/AIDS and LGBTQ related services
- Experience managing complex caseloads
- Strong understanding and experience with assessing mental health needs, substance use and effects on ability to access care
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Comfortable working in an HIV medical care setting
- Computer literate, skilled with use of Microsoft Office suite
- Case management/medical case management background
- Strong work ethic, high level of organization, independent worker
- Knowledge of child protection issues
- Demonstrate fluency and clarity in written communication
- Display clear, personally sensitive, and culturally competent verbal communication
- Ability to work collaboratively within a multidisciplinary team
- Strong organizational skills and the capacity to coordinate multi-site activities
- Excellent customer service skills and communication, ability to interact in a compassionate and nonjudgmental manner with a diverse population affected by HIV
Special Instructions to Applicants:REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2). A current resume/CV. 3). List of 3-5 professional references.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 3-5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20204 - SOM-MED-Infectious Disease
Posting Date: Jun 13, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Lisa Lawrence
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00615397