Associate Director of External Engagement - College of Applied Health Sciences ( A1800380 )
Associate Director of External Engagement
College of Applied Health Sciences
The College of Applied Health Sciences (AHS) at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is seeking an Associate Director of External Engagement to join its Advancement staff. The primary function of this position is to build and steward relationships with students, alumni, donors, faculty, staff, and others by creating a sense of identity and affinity for the college while leveraging a powerful alumni voice on behalf of the college. A secondary function of the position will be to collaborate with other college personnel to establish, build-on, and steward corporate relationships. This full-time Academic Professional position incorporates event management, alumni relations, and stewardship.
The College is home to three academic units: Kinesiology and Community Health; Recreation, Sport and Tourism; and Speech and Hearing Science. Additionally, the College offers an undergraduate degree in Interdisciplinary Health Sciences, which studies health through the integration of knowledge from a variety of social and behavioral sciences. The College enrolls approximately 2,000 undergraduate and 300 graduate students, and also includes the Center on Health, Aging, and Disability that fosters interdisciplinary collaborations among College faculty and researchers across the campus. External grant and contract support includes a wide range of federal and state agencies, industry sponsors, and foundations. In addition, the College is the home of two service units: the Division of Disability Resources and Educational Services (DRES), and the Chez Center for Wounded Veterans in Higher Education.
With a legacy of empowerment and historic breakthroughs related to physical fitness and exercise, youth sports, recreation and park development, public health, speech and hearing assessment, and design standards for accessibility, the College is poised to leverage these strengths to address emerging societal health challenges. In addition, AHS is uniquely positioned to apply what is learned through research at the crossroads of health, wellness, medicine, and technology-helping to bridge the gap that exists between medical care and individual self-care. A growing and dynamic College, AHS is implementing new academic programs and infrastructure projects to support these emerging efforts.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Plan and manage events
- Develop, coordinate, and implement educational and development-focused activities that will promote interest and engagement with AHS on campus and around the country. This includes events that celebrate AHS alumni, faculty, staff, donors, and corporate/community partners as well as promote our research initiatives and services.
- Create and maintain quantitative and qualitative analysis to determine event successes, best practices, and return on investment.
- Participate in and/or attend public speaking engagements, trade shows, business meeting and seminars to promote expertise of the faculty, alumni, and programs.
Establish, build-on, and manage corporate, alumni and friend relationships
- Support development of college's corporate engagement program.
- Provide leadership in developing and implementing programs and opportunities that build strong relationships between the college and its departments, students, alumni, and corporate partners (college level activities).
- Assist with the expansion of corporate-related programs and events such as job fairs, industry/consulting experiences, and professional development that provide engagement opportunities between students, corporate representatives, alumni, and faculty/programs.
Establish, build-on and manage student relationships
- Develop and foster communication and engagement strategies to foster a culture of involvement and philanthropy, strengthening affinity with AHS/departments among students and among recent graduates.
- Build on student ambassadors and student groups within AHS, creating a culture of advocacy, philanthropy and engagement.
Steward donors and their gifts
- Provide high-level support and help to facilitate endowed fund stewardship-includes thank you note management process, gifts notifications and management, and faculty and staff and donor relations.
- Manage a comprehensive and ongoing stewardship program properly recognizing all types of donors.
- Partner with leadership in developing alumni, friends, and/or donor engagement strategies and goals.
- Develop opportunities for department heads, faculty, and staff to meet with current and potential stakeholders or partners and establish good working relationships.
- Solicit and prepare nominations for campus, college, and department alumni awards.
- Serve as the advancement staff liaison to the undergraduate awards committee, and scholarship and fellowship committees.
- Supervise alumni relations interns and/or student workers.
Qualifications: Bachelor's degree. 3-5 years of experience in the field (alumni relations, event planning, stewardship, communications or development). Excellent organizational skills. Ability to work collaboratively. Ability to set and manage expectations. Demonstrated excellence in written and oral communications skills.
Preferred Qualifications: Master's degree. Experience working in higher education. Knowledge of alumni relations, stewardship, and event management best practices.
Salary: Salary commensurate with demonstrated abilities and qualifications.
Closing Date: For full consideration an application must be received by July 4, 2018. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
Application procedure: Please create your candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names, addresses, and phone numbers of three references by the closing date. All requested information must be submitted for your application to be considered.
Starting Date: Negotiable
Contact: Janet Kroencke, Chair [email protected]
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: College of Applied Health Sciences
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Associate Director of External Engagement - College of Applied Health Sciences ( A1800380 )
Open Date: 06/13/2018
Close Date: 07/04/2018
Organization Name: Applied Health Sciences Admin