Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Department of Pediatrics - Section of Developmental Biology
Professional Research Assistant
Position #  - Requisition # 
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding.
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus is seeking applications for a Professional Research Assistant (PRA). This full-time position in the Siegenthaler Lab (see www.siegenthalerlabcu.org) will be located at the Anschutz Medical campus in Aurora. The incumbent will be involved in using a combination of in vivo (mouse) and in vitro (primary cultures and cell lines) models to determine the molecular mechanisms underlying formation and maintenance of the CNS vasculature and how it interacts with the developing and adult brain.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Assisting in the maintenance and organization of the laboratory and animal colony
- Carrying out experiments under the direction of the principal investigator (PI)
- Experimental techniques used in the research will include
- Tissue processing and immunohistochemistry
- RNA isolation
- DNA cloning
- Plasmid DNA isolation
- Maintaining cell cultures, transfections, immunobloting, chromatin immunoprecipitation, and standard and real time-PCR
- Mouse colony maintenance tasks will include
- tail snips
- ear tagging
- database entry
- management of colony breeding
- Maintaining laboratory supplies and ordering/maintenance of large laboratory equipment
- Assist in organizing many of the lab's long-term molecular genetic and animal studies
- Assist the PI in preparation of university laboratory protocols
- Ensure that lab supplies are in stock and available for use; oversee the upkeep of durable laboratory items; and coordinate the purchase and servicing of lab equipment in addition to laboratory supplies
- Serve as the primary contact person in the lab for industry representatives, university regulatory bodies
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary range for this position is $35,000-$39,000. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
- Must have a BA or BS in biology, molecular biology, developmental biology, neuroscience, or a related field
- At least 1 year of professional work experience in any of the following: standard molecular biology techniques; cell culture (primary, cell line or ex vivo explants); histology in an academic or industry setting
Note: educational experience will not replace the required 1 year of professional work experience
Condition of Employment:
- Must be willing and able to pass a national criminal background check
Required Competencies: Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Standard molecular biology techniques (RT-PCR and qPCR, cloning)
- Tissue processing and histology
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to utilize fine dexterity for tail snips, ear tagging
- Experience with cell culture models (primary and cell lines)
- Small animal handling and mouse colony maintenance
- Microscopy experience (confocal, epifluorescence, and transmitted light)
- Image analysis and quantification (Adobe Photoshop, ImageJ)
- Small or large-scale gene expression analyses (qPCR arrays, microarray, RNA sequencing, ChIP sequencing
- Experience with data analysis and preparation of figures for publication (SigmaStat, Corel Draw, Adobe Illustrator)
Special Instructions to Applicants:Special Instructions to Applicants *Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. When applying at www.cu.edu/cu-careers, applicants must include: 1. A cover letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV or resume 3. The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and email addresses for three professional references. Questions should be directed to Julie Siegenthaler, PhD (email@example.com)
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references. Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 21300 - SOM-PEDS Devl Biology-GenOp
Posting Date: Jun 13, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Julie Siegenthaler
Posting Contact Email: Julie.firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00748155