ASSOC UNIVERSITY COUNSEL
ASSOC UNIVERSITY COUNSEL
Associate University Counsel - Corporate Duke University Durham, NC
This position is designed to furnish a high level of professional legal service to Duke University and its affiliated entities. Reporting to Senior Associate University Counsel, the Associate University Counsel will provide legal support on a variety of legal matters relating to contracts and transactions, finance, corporate governance, financial statements, not for profit corporation law, regulatory enforcement and compliance. Key client units include Duke University Finance, Office of the Corporate Secretary, Office of Treasury, and other Duke administrators.
- Provide legal advice to and represent the University's interests in the area of contracts and transactions, finance, corporate governance, not for profit corporation law regulatory issues and compliance.
- Responsible for complex business transactions and other projects at the direction of the Senior Associate Counsel.
- The Associate University Counsel will be expected to be an active participant with key leaders in advising on strategic directions as well as individual activities.
- Draft and review contracts and other legal documents, and policies, for compliance with state and US laws and regulations as well as University policies and approaches.
- Oversee financial transactions, including bond financing and related ongoing compliance, and the audit of consolidated university financial statements.
- Draft resolutions and advise the officers and Board of Trustees of Duke University and related boards with regard to corporate governance at the direction of the Senior Associate University Counsel and Vice President & General Counsel.
- Confer with University employees on matters involving legal interpretation and decisions related to education activities, policy questions and operating issues; engage in training activities.
- Identify, communicate with and establish direct relationships with outside counsel to represent the University.
- Provide counsel to key work groups and committees in areas of practice as assigned.
- Provide guidance and assistance to other counsel in a highly collaborative fashion.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
- Licensed to practice law in the State of North Carolina or eligible to practice in NC.
- Demonstrated experience and competence in contracts and transactions, finance, corporate governance, not for profit corporation law, regulatory issues and compliance.
- Ability to work effectively in a high volume environment and can prioritize work independently.
- Personable and collaborative, with significant personal skills to work in a complex team-oriented office.
- Familiarity with non-profit organization taxation helpful.
CENTRAL ADMIN MANAGEMENT CTR
2044 ASSOC UNIVERSITY COUNSEL
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, genderidentity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robustexchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity ofour perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achievethis exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feelsecure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals arerespected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our communityhave a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
LLB or JD degree. Licensed to practice law in the State of NorthCarolina or become licensed within 12 months of employment.
Must have at least 7 years experience as an attorney.
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.