DIR, FINANCE-TALENT IDENTIFICATION PROGRAM
DIR, FINANCE-TALENT IDENTIFICATION PROGRAM
Duke TIP is seeking a Director of Finance and Administration. This position will be reporting to the executive director. The TIP Director of Finance and Administration will lead and implement the day-to-day financial operations and processes to ensure the continued strength of Duke TIP's $34M+ operational budget and reserve funds, as well as $10M+ endowment accounts. The director is responsible for a variety of administrative and strategic functions, including budgeting, revenue collection and expense management, e- Commerce operations, policy implementation, grant and endowment administration, transactional workflow, and building operations. The role will lead and execute departmental business and operational activities, and monitor overall compliance with University policies and procedures to ensure required propriety and consistency of actions. This position will also oversee and direct key administrative departments of TIP: Finance, Facilities, and Human Resources. If you are interested in this position, please submit your application via the DUKE HR Career site prior to the close of the position on July 8, 2018.
Work Performed: Budgeting/Finance (50%):
• Direct, develop and execute departmental budgets by analyzing operating needs, projecting possible levels of support from multiple sources of funding and expenses on both a short and long-range basis. Prepare and manage capital expense budgets as required.
• Lead the development, implementation and management of departmental financial systems, cost accounting systems and/or financial policies and procedures to maintain proper controls, promote efficiency, and ensure compliance with university policies and procedures. Manage e-commerce financial operations, activity reporting, credit card security, and PCI compliance.
• Liaise with TIP staff to advise units regarding financial matters including revenues, expenses, financial aid, and budget issues. Prepare financial models for new programs, program expansion, and annual program and product pricing decisions.
• Maintain checks on financial expenditures and prudent utilization of resources; make recommendations for improving services and reducing cost in all business operations to include developing improved procedures for cost reduction in office activities.
• Administer the financial aid process involving calculating total financial aid to be awarded during fiscal year from operational budgets, endowment distributions and named awards. Updating internal spreadsheet tables determining the proper amount of aid to be given per household. Working with the financial aid specialist to administer financial aid awards, monitor available financial aid funds and communicate with families regarding any potential need for a payment plan.
• Develop vendor management metrics, including primary monitoring / measurement guidelines.
• Monitor, verify and reconcile expenditure of budgeted funds; prepare financial statements reflecting status of programs and activities.
• Review invoices and statements and approve payments; supervise maintenance of and conduct checks on accounting records and documents to ensure accuracy information.
Financial Reporting (25%):
• Collaborate in the preparation of grant proposals to include compilation of data and preparation of budget projections; monitor and verify expenditures; ensure compliance with University and sponsoring agency policies and procedures and prepare financial and administrative reports for submission to sponsoring agency.
• Advise Executive Director on key administrative and financial matters. Serve as departmental liaison with administrative and professional personnel concerning university and departmental objectives. Represent Duke TIP in meetings, conferences, and other affairs of administrative nature.
• Ensure that the TIP student registration database properly records accounting transaction data and generates accurate reports.
• Prepare various financial reports and analyses for senior leadership and external agencies, including appropriate recommendations or conclusions; present complex information clearly in both high-level summaries and detailed form.
• Serve as departmental liaison with administrative and professional staff concerning University policies and procedures, personnel compensation, grant administration and budgetary preparation and control.
Management and Operations (25%):
• Lead finance, HR, and building operations staff to coordinate operational activities to ensure adequate staffing, space and facilities; coordinate purchasing, maintenance and renovation activities for the department; administer a program of property management and accountability. Determine fiscal requirements, make projections and prepare departmental budgets; monitor, verify and reconcile expenditure of budgeted funds; prepare financial statements reflecting status of programs and activities; ensure compliance with University policies and procedures.
• Establish relationship with vendors by serving as point of contact on contractual matters. Provide contract-related issue resolution, both internally and externally.
• Supervise various personnel actions for the finance and HR team including, but not limited to, hiring, performance appraisals, promotions, transfers and scheduling time off.
• Be responsible for the financial, administrative and security operations of the building facilities. Work with the Provost office to ensure that all maintenance and operating expenses are within TIP's operational budget. Work in partnership with the TIP office manager and the facilities management department to resolve any building issues or concerns.
• Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
• Commitment to Duke TIP's mission.
• Must be able to communicate professionally and confidently with a wide variety of constituents, including parents, vendors, Duke TIP staff and Duke University administrators.
• High level of creativity, initiative, and motivation; and team orientation; willingness to set an example for effective leadership.
• Demonstrated ability to handle sensitive and confidential information and issues on a daily basis.
• Strong interest in staying current with effective financial strategies and utilizing this knowledge to make recommendations regarding financial processes for Duke TIP.
• Proficiency in financial systems, project management tools, computer literacy, and database management. SAP preferred and PBF a plus.
• Minimum of 3 years of experience with managing direct reports. Have the organized and creative mindset, as well as, leadership, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills that leads him/her to identify and effectively implement innovative solutions to common problems. Possess exceptional project management and facilitation skills, as well as, excellent written and verbal communications abilities.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Programs: Excel, Word, PowerPoint.
2791 DIR, FINANCE
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, genderidentity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robustexchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity ofour perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achievethis exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feelsecure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals arerespected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our communityhave a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, BusinessAdministration or a related field.
Work requires a minimum of 10 years related business or administrativeexperience to acquire competence in applying general accountingprinciples, personnel practices and coordination of majoradministrative functions.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.