ANALYST, IT, SR
ANALYST, IT, SR
Vice Dean Research Informatics
Job Title: Analyst, IT, Sr.
RAD Dev Analyst - Level 2
The Research Application Delivery (RAD) group in Duke Health Technology Solutions (DHTS) provides custom software development, vended software implementation, software support and data solutions for Duke's research community. Our solutions are used by researchers and research administrators in support of the research mission of Duke University, the School of Medicine, Institutes, Centers and Departments.
The RAD dev analyst position combines several traditional roles including business analyst, QA analyst, system expert, and project manager. RAD analysts work collaboratively with the business units and the software development teams to envision, design, develop, test, document and support RAD custom software.
We are looking for a motivated self-starter with excellent organizational and communication skills to coordinate the development of custom research administration software. The ideal candidate has extensive knowledge of research administration processes and experience managing software development projects.
Note: Grant deadlines and production releases will require availability outside of normal business hours.
- Delegation - advanced ability to:
- assign tasks and follow up through effective communication
- monitor performance against targets
- Project Team Leadership - advanced ability to:
- identify resource needs and competencies
- set and communicate team/individual responsibilities
- raise concerns to leadership in a timely manner
- allocate work load to fully utilize every project team member's talent
- Planning and Organization - advanced ability to:
- organize work and prioritize tasks
- set deadlines and review progress against plan
- manage agile development cycles (e.g., requirements, scope, risk and issue management)
- Risk Management - advanced ability to:
- identify risks of negative outcomes, measure impact
- recognize when to escalate and minimize risk through corrective action
- Advanced ability to collaborate with individual contributors or managers to define business process issues and implement creative solutions
- Advanced knowledge of grant systems and business processes
- Advanced problem-solving skills
- Advanced facilitation and collaboration skills
- Advanced negotiation and consensus-driving skills
Analysis & Development (50%)
- Observe, interview, and meet with users to identify business needs
- Translate business needs into functional requirements
- Propose navigation models and develop screen mock-ups for prototype development
- Plan and conduct meetings with users to present prototypes and refine system requirements
- Build software development roadmap for major projects
- Oversee development process to ensure that project milestones are met
- Advise stakeholders on competing priorities and suggest alternatives for moving forward with project work and also providing added value to existing applications
- Ensure that enhancements, bug fixes, and technology upgrades to existing applications are completed in a timely manner and in accordance with stakeholder priorities
- Plan and coordinate system testing for new applications and features
- Develop feature acceptance criteria
- Oversee regression testing of existing applications
- Consult with support analysts and developers to identify gaps in automated tests
- Develop and execute usability tests to identify user interface shortfalls, validate design elements, and discriminate among alternative designs
- Plan, coordinate and oversee implementation of major production releases
- Develop communication strategy for major production releases
- Oversee development and maintenance of help systems and user manuals
- Coordinate user communication
- Participate in RAD firewatch pager rotation
- Provide third-level end user support for RAD applications
- Prepare and deliver presentations to systems users and others as necessary
Required: Bachelor's degree in a related field, or equivalent combination of education and technical experience
Required: Three years of directly related experience
Preferred: Extensive knowledge of research administration processes and experience managing software development projects
2426 ANALYST, IT, SR
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, genderidentity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robustexchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity ofour perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achievethis exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feelsecure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals arerespected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our communityhave a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Refer to Job Description
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.