Director Network and Telecommunications Engineering (HCCnet)
Houston Community College (HCC) is an open-admission, public institution of higher education offering a high-quality, affordable education for academic advancement, workforce training, career development and lifelong learning to prepare individuals in our diverse communities for life and work in a global and technological society. We're proud to say that 98 percent of our graduates step into a job in their field of study immediately upon graduation. One of the largest community colleges in the nation, HCC has served the Greater Houston area for over four decades. Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and the Schools Commission on Colleges, we offer 300+ associate degree and certificate programs to 75,000+ students across 13 Centers of Excellence and online each semester. We are proud to be No.1 among all community colleges in the nation in providing associate degrees to minorities and No.1 in educating international students, with 10.4 percent of our student population from outside the USA. Our vision is to become the Employer of Choice in support of our mission for Student Success by attracting, retaining and motivating the best employees.
Some of the brightest minds in academics and business are choosing HCC as their home. When you join our talented team, you'll play a special role. We'll support you in your professional development as you contribute your knowledge and expertise to HCC, our students and the community.
Direct the design, engineering, and development of HCC's network and telecommunications infrastructure (HCCnet). Lead the deployment of secure and robust network and telecommunication systems infrastructures, supporting core and critical institutional systems. Work closely with Director of Network & Security Operations for the operational support and maintenance of HCCnet.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Direct, manage, and mentor the district-wide data network team, systems, and infrastructure, including technical review, standards development, network engineering, and project escalation;
- Direct, manage, and mentor the district-wide telecommunications team and Cisco Voice over IP telephony infrastructure and systems;
- Empower network and telecommunication resources to complete assigned projects by providing effective leadership, management, training, and support;
- Provide leadership in IT for the development of highly appropriate, tightly integrated, consistently available, secure, flexible, and fault-tolerant network infrastructure systems;
- Supervise and oversee network and telecom provisioning and engineering efforts, including vendor management, capacity forecasting, WAN circuit physical planning, budget planning and cost analysis, and external Internet peering (public and private);
- Perform planning and procurement of new infrastructure systems, including systems capacity planning and forecasting for future institutional requirements;
- Assist Executive Director in the development of strategic network infrastructure plans and fiscal year budgets; and
- Lead development of technology direction, policies and standards for network, voice and video services. Assess and propose the emerging information technologies to be assimilated, integrated and introduced within HCC IT that will significantly impact the institution.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential duties and responsibilities listed above. The qualifications listed below are representative of the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
Bachelor's degree in computer/job-related field required. Master's preferred. Certification and specialized training that is directly related to the type of work being performed.
Five (5) years of lead or management level experience in a Cisco Enterprise network-engineering role.
- Expert knowledge of end-to-end Network and Telecommunications infrastructure and systems within a large campus or enterprise environment;
- Advanced Cisco Switching & Routing, including EIGRP & BGP;
- Cisco Voice over IP infrastructure, including systems design, deployment, and support;
- Advanced Cisco Enterprise Wireless Infrastructure;
- Working Load-balancing and/or Application Networking knowledge of Cisco ACE, F5 or Citrix platforms and systems; and
- Network, VoIP, & Data Center Application Networking troubleshooting, analysis, and escalation.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Able to simplify and articulate complex technical scenarios and project scopes to Sr. Management, while providing direct mentoring and management to subordinate engineers and analysts;
- Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment and make sound decisions in emergency situations;
- Highly self-motivated and self-directed;
- Detail oriented;
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities;
- Good understanding of the institution's goals and objectives;
- Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws;
- Demonstrated leadership and personnel management skills;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Strong customer service orientation and exceptional interpersonal skills; and
- Able to be available after-hours and on-call, as needed.
Houston is a city with limitless possibilities:
- Fourth-largest city in the U.S. and home to 54 Fortune 500 companies, second only to New York City's 55.
- Approximately 145 languages are spoken here.
- Overall after-taxes living costs are 5.6 percent below the average for all 308 urban areas recently surveyed.
- Houston is a major-league sports town, and don't forget the annual Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo.
- The weather is great! Mild winters ensure that outdoor activities can be enjoyed year-round.
- World-renowned medical care. The Houston metro area has long been known for its first-rate healthcare system, with many Houston area hospitals consistently ranking among the nation's top institutions.
- With over 150 museums and cultural institutions in the Greater Houston area, museums are a large part of Houston's cultural scene.
- Houston is the Culture & Culinary Capital of Texas with more than 7,500 restaurants and eating establishments covering 60+ cuisines.
If this sounds like the role for you and you're ready to join an amazing team, please apply right away.
Houston Community College does not discriminate on the bases of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation or veteran's status. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
David Cross, Director EEO/Compliance, Title IX Coordinator
Office of Institutional Equity
PO Box 667517
Houston TX, 77266
713 718.8271 or [email protected]
HCC values its employees and their contributions, promotes opportunities for their professional growth and development, and provides a positive working and learning environment that encourages diversity, innovation and creativity, and inclusion.
Individuals with disabilities, who require special accommodations to interview, should contact (713) 718-8565.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
This job description may be revised upon development of other duties and changes in responsibilities.