Gallery Director Museum of Fine Arts
Job ID: 43700
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
The Gallery Director is responsible for managing all College of Fine Arts gallery spaces including the William Johhnston Gallery. Provides artistic direction and leadership staff, student interns, and volunteers throughout the planning and execution stages of the exhibition process. Promotes collaboration between departments at the University. Markets exhibitions in gallery spaces to increase attendance and renown of Florida State University's gallery spaces. Build relationships with artists and museums to attract new exhibitions to gallery spaces. Actively secures grant funding and identifying sponsorship and fundraising opportunities to support gallery operations.
This position is responsible for teaching in the area of museum objects and exhibitions.
• Terminal degree such as an MFA or a doctorate.
• Experience in art museum/gallery operations.
• Experience and a successful track record in administration, collection management, publication, education or exhibition development.
• Excellent writing and communication skills.
• Strong interpersonal and leadership skills.
• Established grant writing capability.
• Demonstrated art historical and curatorial depth.
• Demonstrated experience with budget development and oversight.
• Experience supervising professional staff.
• Ability to engage and inspire others in the successful implementation of objectives.
• Ability to work collaboratively with diverse groups, including museum staff, university faculty and students, museum patrons, guest artists, guest curators, and volunteers / community members, to craft annual programming that is inclusive of all populations and varied in topic and point of view.
• Experience in higher education art, art history, or museum studies.
• Experience fundraising and cultivating collectors and perspective donors.
• Understanding of and enthusiasm for the educational role of art museums.
• Ability to attract, motivate, and manage a talented staff.
• Ability to be effective under pressure and handle constant multitasking.
This is a Faculty position.
Criminal Background Check
This position requires successful completion of a criminal history background check. The background check will be conducted as authorized and in accordance with University Policy 4-OP-C-7-B11.
How To Apply
If qualified and interested in a specific Faculty job opening as advertised, apply to Florida State University at https://jobs.fsu.edu. If you are a current FSU employee, apply via myFSU > Self Service.
Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications must include education details even if attaching a Vita.
Request Letters of Reference
This position requires that you have three confidential professional letters of recommendation submitted on your behalf. Follow the steps below to request these letters through our system:
1) After submitting your application, click the Return to Job Search link;
2) Click the My References link;
3) Click the Send/View Reference Request button next to the appropriate position; and
4) Follow the steps on that page to send your references a system generated email requesting they submit a letter of recommendation on your behalf.
You may also return to the My References link and click on "Send/View Reference Request" to see if your references have responded, add additional references, or resend requests.
Tobacco Free Campus
Effective January 1, 2014, tobacco use, including simulated tobacco use, is prohibited on property, interior and exterior, owned or managed by Florida State University. This policy applies to all Florida State University students, employees, consultants, contractors, visitors, and external individuals.
Equal Employment Opportunity
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer.
FSU's Equal Opportunity Statement can be viewed at: http://www.hr.fsu.edu/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf