Assistant Cross Country/Track & Field (Distance) Coach - Part-time
American International College is a private, coeducational institution of higher education located on a 70+ acre campus in Springfield, Massachusetts. The campus has 42 buildings on two sites approximately 1/2 mile apart with a total of approximately 660,000 gross square feet. Included in the inventory of buildings are student residences for a resident population of 900 students. Founded in 1885, the College has 3700 graduate and undergraduate students. AIC offers a variety of undergraduate and graduate programs through the Schools of Business, Arts and Sciences; Health Sciences; and Education. The mission of the College is to transform student lives through career focused learning, with a strong foundation in the liberal arts, a commitment to serving the community, and a high level of involvement in the global economy.
- COACHING/INDIVIDUAL AND TEAM INSTRUCTION - Provide individual and team instruction to student-athletes on rules and fundamentals, pre-competition activities, skill attainment, techniques and methods required to demonstrate satisfactory performance in a safe manner and team concepts that are specific to team needs. Provide individualized coaching, tutoring and mentoring to student-athletes, including preparatory work. Assess student-athletes skill attainment demonstrated during practice, competition and in film. Review video of opponent performance and subsequently design individual and team instruction for AIC student-athletes. Determine specific daily practice activities that are organized, creative and valuable for the student-athletes. Keep informed of modern trends, techniques and strategies; transferring the knowledge in the development and implementation of game strategy and position assignments. Emphasize values of competitive athletics, acceptable personal behavior, decision-making and lasting values to each individual. Always serves as an exemplary professional.
- RECRUITING - Work collaboratively with the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid to effectively recruit new student-athletes that have the ability to achieve success academically and athletically at AIC. Abides by all recruiting rules and regulations set forth by the NCAA.
- LEADERSHIP - Communicate skillfully with colleagues, subordinates and student-athletes. Maintains self-control and sets an example for sportsmanlike conduct in relationships with your team, officials, administration and opponents in victory or defeat. Provides clear direction of responsibility and authority. Attend and contribute to department meetings and functions.
- NCAA RULES/COMPLIANCE - Always adhere to Conference (NE-10) and NCAA rules.
- COMMUNITY/PUBLIC RELATIONS - Actively support student-athlete participation in community outreach efforts. Develop and maintain positive relationship with interested segment of the community.
- ATHLETIC ACHIEVEMENTS - Assess team competitive performance versus expectations. Analyze how well did the team play when compared with expectations; make adjustments as necessary.
- ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES - Perform additional responsibilities (as assigned by the Head Cross Country/Track & Field Coach).
- Required Degree(s): Bachelors
- Required Training/Cert: Ability to pass NCAA recruiting exam within 90 days of employment.
- Required Licensure(s): A valid, insurable driver's license
- A strong teaching/playing/coaching background in the sport of cross country and track & field with the ability to provide high level instruction.
- Must have a strong commitment to the academic success of the student-athlete. Manage and treat, student-athletes professionally, respectfully, and courteously.
- Understanding of NCAA Division II rules and regulations.
- Exceptional leadership and strong organizational ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks. Strong teamwork and supports departmental efforts through collaborative measures and sharing knowledge with others.
- A valid, insurable driver's license is required, driving team vans will be a responsibility.
- Ability to represent the philosophy and educational goals of American International College in a thorough and professional manner.
- Understands, values and respect diversity within the team and fosters an inclusive and supportive environment.
This is a part time, non-benefited position. This position requires a non-traditional schedule to meet the needs of students and teams, including evening and weekend events; as well as some overnight travel throughout the academic year.
Qualified applicants should save and submit a brief cover letter, current resume, and contact information for three professional references (one of which must be a current or prior supervisor) as one document. Upload the saved document into the online application.
Please note: The salary for this position is a modest stipend.
AIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.