Senior Accounting Specialist (One or More Positions)
South Orange County Community College District
Senior Accounting Specialist (one or more positions)
Job Close Date: 06/26/2018
PLEASE NOTE: In order to be considered for this opening, you must apply through the District website at https://jobs.socccd.edu
The District offers a comprehensive package of insurance benefits to eligible employees, which includes medical and dental insurance, a vision-care plan, life insurance and dependent life coverage, accidental death and dismemberment coverage, and a long-term disability income-protection plan. All premiums are
fully paid by the District. Mandatory retirement incentive is with California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS).
Under direction from higher level supervisory or management staff, performs technical and complex accounting duties in the preparation, maintenance and review of financial records, accounts and reports; interprets accounting policies and procedures to assure accuracy and compliance; and may have functional or technical supervisory responsibility over clerical and technical employees.
This is the advanced journey level class in the Accounting Specialist series. Positions at this level are distinguished from other classes within the series by the level of responsibility assumed and the complexity of duties assigned. Employees perform the most difficult and responsible types of duties assigned to classes within this series including the most complex clerical accounting functions at the paraprofessional level requiring principles of accounting and bookkeeping as well as significant directly related and progressive experience. Employees at this level are required to be fully trained in all procedures related to assigned area of responsibility.
• Principles, practices and procedures of accounting, auditing and bookkeeping.
• Methods and techniques of financial and statistical recordkeeping and reporting.
• Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
• Office procedures, methods, and equipment including computers and applicable software applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, and databases.
• Mathematical principles.
• English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
• Pertinent federal, state, and local codes, laws, and regulations.
• Perform technical and complex accounting and auditing work in the preparation, maintenance and review of District or campus financial records, accounts and reports.
• Audit, review, analyze and reconcile accounting and fiscal reports.
• Assure compliance with applicable rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
• Apply auditing and financial recordkeeping principles to assigned work.
• Interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
• Operate office equipment including computers and supporting word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications.
• Make arithmetic calculations quickly and accurately.
• Plan and organize work to meet changing priorities and deadlines.
• Work independently with little direction.
• Understand and follow oral and written directions.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Education and Experience Guidelines:
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying.
Equivalent to two years of college level course work in accounting, finance, business administration or a related field.
Three years of responsible bookkeeping or clerical accounting experience.
Please visit the District’s Employment Opportunities website at https://jobs.socccd.edu for a detailed job description, to learn more about the District and to complete an on-line application.
NOTICE TO ALL CANDIDATES FOR EMPLOYMENT: The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, Public Law 99-603, requires that employers obtain documentation from every new employee which authorizes that individual to accept employment in this country.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER