Lecturer - Physical Education, Health & Activities
The College of Arts, Letters, & Education at Eastern Washington University invite applications for a full-time Lecturer in Physical Education, Health and Activities in the Department of Physical Education, Health & Recreation (PEHR) to begin mid-September 2018.
Responsibilities may include teaching undergraduate courses in health education, physical education, aquatics, fitness, and/or personal training/group exercise. Additional duties as deemed by the Chair of the department may be added to these responsibilities.
The candidate will be welcomed into an academic community dedicated to cultural diversity, community engagement, and social justice.
Teaching: typical workload for this position will involve 45 credits per academic year, subject to department needs.
Eastern's PEHR faculty bring to their undergraduate and graduate programs depth of knowledge and experience in teaching, research, and service. The department's undergraduate programs prepare students to complete degrees in Public Health, Exercise Science, Health and Fitness, Outdoor Recreation, Recreation Management, and Therapeutic Recreation. We have a Master of Science degree in Athletic Training and in Physical Education with two tracks: Sports and Recreation Administration and Exercise Science.
Department faculty have access to all Eastern's fitness facilities and our well-outfitted human performance lab. Enrollment has reached over 12,000 students.
Additionally, all faculty are expected to actively participate in assessment of student learning and to engage in effective teaching.About Eastern Washington University
Eastern is a regional, comprehensive university located in Cheney, 20 minutes from downtown Spokane. In addition to Eastern's Cheney campus, we also offer our Riverpoint campus in Spokane, plus additional teaching/learning centers located in other cities throughout Washington State. Enrollment has reached over 12,000 students. The Cheney-Spokane area is the heart of the Inland Northwest, with excellent restaurants, theater, shopping, skiing, hiking, lakes, a choice of living in a medium-sized city or a small town, and high quality schools and housing.Eastern Washington University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Eastern Washington University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.
Conditions of Employment
The required start date for this position is 09/14/2018. To be considered eligible for appointment into the position, applicants must be available and able to start in the position no later than 09/14/2018.
- Masters degree in Exercise Science, Physical Education, Community Health, or related field or significant professional experience.
- One year university teaching experience.
- Certification in personal training and/or group exercise through a recognized certified body; must have current certification or be able to obtain certification by start date of position (9/14/2018).
- Demonstrated ability to apply a culturally responsive and flexible approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal access, of our students, faculty, staff, and the public.
Preference will be given to candidates who meet one or more of the following:
- Experience in teaching Health Education
- Experience in teaching Physical Education
- Experience teaching and administering group exercise classes
- Experience in teaching Aquatics
- The candidate should have a wellness lifestyle that reflects the philosophy of the PEHR Department.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Time Management