Temporary - Substance Abuse Counselor
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Temporary - Substance Abuse Counselor
This position exists to provide clinical services to adult men and women involved in a long term outpatient substance abuse treatment program (Peer I/Haven Outpatient Therapeutic Community). This program serves the offender population and supports patient ongoing efforts to maintain both sobriety and a citizen lifestyle as they re-enter the community having completed the Peer I/Haven residential therapeutic communities. In addition, services may be provided to children, spouses, family members, and significant others as need arises per the treatment plan. This position will be responsible for providing clinical care and case-management services for up to 30 men and women in an outpatient setting in accordance to treatment standards set forth by the Office of Behavioral Health, Department of Corrections, the Division of Criminal Justice and Addiction Research and Treatment Services (ARTS).
Specific duties are as follows:
- Responsible for individual and group therapy sessions.
- treatment planning/ case-management
- documentation of services provided in Electronic Health Care Record
- monthly reporting to stakeholders
- Complete initial and ongoing assessments such as the Lifestyle Severity Index (LSI) and the, Global Assessment of Needs (GAIN).
- attend staff meetings weekly
- support patients in aftercare planning
- Help patients stay in compliance with their community corrections/DOC sentences via monitoring employment, holding them accountable for restitution payments, occasional court appearances, and troubleshooting issues that arise related to their sentences.
- support team members on occasion related to the following: collection of urinalysis samples, phone coverage, and other duties as assigned by the program coordinator.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Possess a Certified Addiction Counselor II (CAC II) certification or a Master's degree in social work, psychology, counseling, counseling psychology, or a related field.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must possess and maintain a valid State of Colorado Driver's License
- Must agree to fingerprinting, criminal background check, and child abuse registry check
- Individuals in recovery from substance abuse must have one year's abstinence from alcohol and drug problems, agree to continued abstinence, and provide urine samples upon request and under observation.
- Experience working in a substance abuse treatment program with adult patients
- Experience working with offender population
- Experience documenting behaviors according to established policies
- Experience with evidenced based practices such as motivational interviewing and contingency management theory.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 13863
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Professional Support Services
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20280 - SOM-PSYCH-ARTS SP/G
Posting Date: Jun 12, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Jon Heman
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00711977